What's new

Massive upgrade on the way, looking for ideas! (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
In the next two months I will be doing a MASSIVE upgrade. Looking to getting the Toshiba 34in 16:9 set, which is looking like the best direct view for the money.(I play way too many video games and have space constraints, so projection is out of the question.)

I am looking for a really good progressive player with a modest price to pair with it. I am leaning towards a Toshiba, but hear almost nothing but negativity about them. Panasonic is looking good, but they dont have coax outputs. That leaves JVC and Sony, both of which look good.

I need feedback on what to go with people!

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
JVC fans will say JVC...Sony fans will say Sony.

I say my 70BK does it all for under $250 delivered. Progressive, DVD-A, excellent remote, great menus, complete picture control, slim line design, ya-da, ya-da, ya-da. I really like this thing.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Ummm...what brand is that? That is my main question.

Been leaning more heavily towards the Sony's and JVC, especially the JVC for MP3 playback.

Also, one major thing I am looking for is disc access speed. My current two and a half year old Samsung is incredibly fast on load times for the menus and whatnot, and almost every other player I have had access to using has ridiculously slower load times. So any of these players faster than others.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Sorry. I should have included: JVC 70BK same as 75GD except color. Check the JVC website for specs. Also 60BK/65GD if you don't need DVD-A. 80BK/85GD are changers---no DVD-A. 90BK/95GD are changers with everything. Fast access times are not their speciality, however.

I got the 70BK from consumer-direct.com after trying out the Toshiba 4700 from the same folks. No problem with the return. I liked the Tosh but it liked to freeze.

Also, if you want good MP3, check the Pioneer 444 w/DVD-A and 440 w/o. Both are progressive. I have always found Pioneer to be very reliable with very good quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks