What's new

Marvel’s Agent Carter (ABC) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't think these sorts of things have any impact on anything, but I will nonetheless sign!

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
If they do bring it back on Netflix, I expect the budget to be severely restrained. You don't see as much CGI effects with Daredevil and Jessica Jones as you see on SHIELD and Agent Carter. I think it can still work on a limited budget, but it will be a different look.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I've often wondered how the budget for the Netflix Marvel series compare to the ABC Marvel series. The technical proficiency of the Netflix series seem much greater, and they benefit from having the real New York City as a backdrop. But in terms of stunts and big FX sequences, the ABC shows are a lot more ambitious.

"Agent Carter" benefited from having ILM doing the visual effects, which is unheard of for a television production. A lot of the effects were "invisible" -- especially in the first season when they had to turn 2014 Los Angeles into 1945 New York City.

The good news is that the show's about a spy with no superpowers, so it'd be easier to scale this show down than others ("Supergirl's" paring down for the CW will be especially difficult).

I think my ideal revival would be for Marvel/ABC Studios to team up with a British broadcaster like the BBC or ITV and do a short third season set (and filmed) back in the UK. Of course, Atwell's commitments to "Conviction" make this unlikely.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
But in terms of stunts and big FX sequences, the ABC shows are a lot more ambitious.

I can't think of single stunt sequence from either SHIELD or Agent Carter that compares to even a "basic" fight sequence from Daredevil. Outside of the two "Daisy solo fights" from SHIELD, none of the sequences from the ABC shows are what I would call "ambitious," and are in fact generally quite pedestrian (maybe there's one May fight that was impressive...). DD and JJ are easily the more ambitious shows.

I still think Agent Carter looked mediocre at best--I get the soft look they were going for, but it always looked liked a CBS backdrop (think NCIS) even when it wasn't (which is a pretty big misstep).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I can't think of single stunt sequence from either SHIELD or Agent Carter that compares to even a "basic" fight sequence from Daredevil. Outside of the two "Daisy solo fights" from SHIELD, none of the sequences from the ABC shows are what I would call "ambitious," and are in fact generally quite pedestrian (maybe there's one May fight that was impressive...).
The action scenes in the Netflix series are unquestionably better executed, including fights with extended takes that go on for minutes. But they tend to be on single sets or confined spaces. You don't have as heavy of a visual effects/special effects component, with far fewer explosions and no flying cars or jets.

"Daredevil" has better stunt sequences, but the ABC Marvel series have more expensive stunt sequences.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I had drafted a comment on this, but didn't post since I wasn't sure what my point was. I think you two said it. :)

Legends of Tomorrow has had a couple of fantastic set piece, loaded with superheroes and superpowers, special effects laden, and surround sound. Great stuff, showing how TV benefits from the investments made for movies.

But Daredevil has incredible fight choreography, performed in sparse manner, that is absolutely thrilling. I don't know that I've seen anything that good on TV. (Nikita had some good work. And there was Sammo Hung's ill fated TV show. :) )

Netflix is demonstrating the great craft of working with your constraints. Jessica Jones was barely a superhero show. It could have been tweaked and been Season 5 of Veronica Mars with an otherwise normal set of people. But with a sprinkling of relatively low budget superpower SFX, it did amazing stuff. (Well, I assume it didn't cost much to depict people following Killgrave's commands...)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Wasn't Agent Carter never intended to be a long running series? I thought it was originally just supposed to be a one off that was filler for the mid season break, and they did a second season just because it got such good reviews. So we actually got an extra season, rather than it being 'Cancelled.'

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Dominick Cooper also said he'd be happy to come back, and said Atwell and Darcy were up for it too.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...y-howard-stark-again-agent-carter-was-revived

Asked if the formation of SHIELD is still a story that needs to be told, Cooper said: “Yeah, and I think they will. [Peggy and Howard]’ll come back somehow – whether it’s on that network or another, or whether it’s that show or a different type of show, you’ll see them again somewhere, I have no doubt about it.

http://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin...ill-come-back-somehow-exclusive-a3260341.html

During an appearance at MegaCon in Orlando, Florida on Saturday, the actress said she is “100 percent” committed to playing Peggy Carter in any possible revival of the Marvel show, which ABCcanceled in May. And even though Atwell stars in ABC’s upcoming legal drama Conviction, the star said she’d “shoot on the weekends” if Netflix brought the show back – the goal of a Change.org petitionsigned by more than 116,000 fans.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/02/hayley-atwell-agent-carter-revival-megacon

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Atwell talks a little about what direction Season 3 was expected to take:

"There was talk of Season 3 of going further back into her past," she explained. "So the showrunners were talking about a possible kind of twist, I suppose, into something to do with the family. They suggested there would be more to do with my brother. So that's all I can say."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...arter-season-3-details-possible-kind-of-twist
Given that her brother's death is what pushed her into joining the SSR, and given that her niece Sharon is way younger than you'd expect the niece of someone her age to be, I figured there had to be more to that story.

Either Peggy's brother secretly survived and had a kid in his late sixties, early seventies or his sperm was frozen for some nefarious purpose or another and later used to inseminate Sharon's mother in the 1980s. Even if Sharon is Peggy's great-niece, and Michael's her grandfather, there has to be more to the story.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Maybe this will help spark some interest in Netflix or someone else picking up the show:

Why Agent Carter Was The Best Superhero TV Show Of Last Year

http://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/agent-carter-superhero-show-year/

It's like the author didn't even watch the other Marvel productions, and just "heard some things" about them. No established tone in Daredevil? Please.

Agent Carter, while a fine show, was the least of the four 2016 Marvel television shows (I'm including JJ, even though it was released in November 2015). It was the worst on pretty much every technical metric except maybe costume design (and I think DD was a tad better). While Hayley Atwell was terrific, Krysten Ritter was better. Agent Carter's ensemble was stronger than SHIELD, though.

I still get can't over the fact that Agent Carter never quite pulled off the "look" it wanted--all non-location shots looked like an CBS backlot (actually like an NCIS reject).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I disagree that Agent Carter was the worst of the shows. I enjoy SHIELD but I think Carter is better. I haven't seen JJ. I saw the first two episodes of DD and was bored out of my mind and had no desire to continue with it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I enjoyed Agent Carter a lot, and hope for a third season to magically happen. But to say it's the best superhero show of 2015 / 2016 is stretching it. Jessica Jones was brilliant; better than DD S1 which was pretty amazing (I've not watched DD S2 yet). AC was arguably better than The Flash, but AC was a little mushy last year so I'm not sure. And LoT started slowly, but ramped up and was very strong the second half.

These comparison also are difficult because these shows are wildly different. Compare JJ to AC is like comparing The Americans to The Flash: they're completely different animals. One is brilliantly written, acted, produced drama that's gritty and frightening and completely inappropriate for anyone, especially children; the other is family friendly, happiness-inducing superhero fare. So how to compare JJ to AC? Yes they're "superhero" shows starring a woman. But their entire approach to life is different.

I think it's a hard argument to win that Agent Cart was the best show of last year. But I think it was a good show to have had last year, and the superhero TV realm is lessened by its cancellation.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Agent Carter, while a fine show, was the least of the four 2016 Marvel television shows (I'm including JJ, even though it was released in November 2015). It was the worst on pretty much every technical metric except maybe costume design (and I think DD was a tad better). While Hayley Atwell was terrific, Krysten Ritter was better. Agent Carter's ensemble was stronger than SHIELD, though.
I would put the second season of "Agent Carter" ahead of "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." (which I just don't care for) but behind "Jessica Jones" S1 and "Daredevil" S2. I thought the show suffered from the move to LA from NYC, especially as the tone lightened, and I thought the additional two episodes made the pacing suffer. The "Howard Stark framed as a traitor" storyline was also a much stronger narrative spine than the Zero Matter storyline. S1 also benefited from a great pilot from Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely. The S2 premiere just wasn't nearly as strong of a foundation.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I probably enjoyed Jessica Jones a bit more, but in a different way. JJ was intense and touched hot-button issues. The main character was a tortured soul. Carter was very different, but an absolute joy to watch. The writing was great, and the main character was an intelligent, secure woman who was a delight to watch. The shows couldn't be more different, but they were both universally excellent.

I also loved DD season 2 (and season 1) and I am a big fan of Agents of Shield (minus the "who will die" promotion for the finale). But there's an argument to be made for Carter being the best, and I'm glad someone made it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks