What's new

Marion Ravenwood tribute when movie starts (1 Viewer)

Colton

Supporting Actor
Here's the thing:

Remember the scene in Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark where Jones and Marion and being sealed in the tomb and just as the ceiling is being closed and darkness engulfs both of them - Marion screams.

Well, just as the lights go out in the theater, my friends wife likes to scream at the top of her lungs. She does this everytime we go see a movie. She's a huge Raiders of the Lost Ark fan and does it exactly for this reason. Makes me laugh everytime.

http://www.theindyexperience.com/pho...st_Ark/107.jpg

- Colton

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
I'd kick her ass if she did that in my home theater without telling me, or even a public theater for that matter, but maybe it's just me.....

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Problem is most people would have no idea why or from what she was screaming.

And that would annoy me too.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Sounds a bit immature to me. If she wants to do that home, great but the theatre is not her living room.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Sounds a bit immature to me.

A bit?

Imagine you're in a theater. Lights are slowly going down, some woman suddenly screams "No!" at the top of her lungs...it doesn't even make sense. Colton and the wife and their party may laugh, but everybody else is liable to think she is being raped or attacked or just heard some terrible news on her cell phone or any number of things. It's not funny, it's stupid.

Colton -- does your friend's wife also pay tribute to Marion Ravenwood by knocking back a few dozen shots before going to the movies?

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I was being nice. Didnt want to say anything too mean.
How about tossing her into a pit of snakes??

Colton

Supporting Actor
Colton -- does your friend's wife also pay tribute to Marion Ravenwood by knocking back a few dozen shots before going to the movies?

I think she does, but maybe her "No!" isn't as loud as I described. Maybe she should keep her tribute for when Raiders becomes more like a midnight cult show (re: Rocky Horror). :)

- Colton

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I concur with all the negative assessments of this action. It sounds idiotic and pointless - a dopey in-joke that only serves to annoy most people...

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
As long as she doesn't interrupt the movie or even the actual trailers, I don't see the harm in it. It's not as if the movie immediately begins as soon as the lights go down. She could scream repeatedly through all the non-trailer ads as far as I'm concerned.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Not to get too melodramatic here, but, speaking as a woman myself, I'd just like to ask if your friend's wife realizes that her action is a disservice to women everywhere. Actions such as those you described serve only to de-sensitize an already-too-apathetic public to legitimate scenarios in which a woman might scream as a real plea for help...some of which Ernest mentioned in his post above.

Remember when car alarms actually got peoples' attention?

And, there's an old story she might have heard about a little boy who cried wolf...

There's a time and a place for everything. A crowded movie theater, when there's nothing on the screen to prompt such an outburst, is NOT the place for her to indulge in this personal little ritual, IMO.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I've never seen a movie with that title.

And as much as I love Raiders, this just sounds stupid and immature. Tell this broad to look into the ark so she can be put out of everyone elses misery.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Behind me, in front of me, next to me, it doesn't matter. I'm not gonna shed any tears over not being able to hear a Fanta commercial.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
"I've never seen a movie with that title."

Maybe you should look at your DVD cover,Tom.
I know it's not the official name, but it's common enough for them to change it on the DVD sleeve. Just wanted to throw that in there.

A tad off topic, but when I saw Minority report, two people were actually fighting...across the auditorium, calling each other names, using profanities, and like idiots, most of the people in the theater laughed. It was just annoying, I thought. I wonder if they ever did
"take it outside" like one of them suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks