What's new

Marantz vs. Denon (1 Viewer)

Mr. Michael

Auditioning
Greetings all,

I found this lovely forum when researching for a new receiver. I am very glad I did! I have done searches here and can not answer my questions. Could you please help?

I currently own a Denon AVR-881 receiver and am looking to upgrade with either a Denon or Marantz. I always have been a Denon guy from the beginning and do not have any real experience with other manufactures. I am leaning toward the Marantz line and just want to justify their higher costs. I am a firm believer in listen before you buy. But with the lack of high-end dealers in my area it makes listening and comparing brands difficult to impossible. So my decision will be based greatly on the feedback I receive from you folks.

Since both Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company, are their AVR's truly different?
Is Marantz just fancy badging for Denon's innards?
What differences besides power is different up the Marantz line?

This unit will be used in the following:
Room size: 17'x11'x7' (small finished basement)
95% HT/5% music (have second music only system)
DTS ES/DD EX 6.1 needed
24+ bit/192kHz DAC's nice but not manditory
Will be using Axiom M22-ti's for fronts with other Axioms
Component switching is not important (I hook up all video lines direct to TV)
Remote contol not important (use Pronto remote)
Used or older unit fine with above features
Maximum price: $500

I appreciate all your comments. Thanks for your help!

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
This will likely be moved to the Receivers forum (not a reproach, almost all new members of any forum post in the wrong place). Just don't be surprised to see it moved.

As for your question about Marantz being a re-badged Denon, the answer is no. While both are owned by the same parent company, each makes its own products at this time. It is possible, probably likely, that in the future, they may start sharing some components (much like the Ford Focus, Mazda 3 and Volvo S40 share the same basic platform) but I suspect they will each maintain a fair amount of individuality and autonomy.

I think you'll find the Denon receivers a bit more feature-laden while the Marantz receivers might have better amps. At the intro level, though, I don't know how different the amps are in power and/or quality. An audition would be in order.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Marantz and Denon, in terms of AVR, have little to do with eachother. A listen to both side by side will confirm that. I'd say Paul covered it pretty well. I'd say Denon has all the latest bells and whistles, while Marantz lags behind a bit getting the goodies on there; they focus more on the musical sound of their receivers. On that note, I have always preferred the sound of Marantz to Denon.

Sounds like you might do well to look at a used 6400 or a new 5400. From Denon, a new 1905 or used 2803 or 2805.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Marantz and Denon are both owned by the same parent company, though, yes?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, and that same company also owns McIntosh, IIRC, but I doubt you'll see any Marantz or Denon hybrid 300wpc amps anytime soon :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You recall correctly, John. McIntosh is owned by the same company, but it still operates independtly in New York.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
McIntosh is ridiculous, and I mean that as a huge compliment! :D Hardcore, high end gear. Pretty incredible!

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
My long term goal is to get at least a two channel MacIntosh amp (and if I save long enough--or win a lottery--perhaps a five channel amp). Of course, I also plan to read Churchill's six volume history of WWII, the complete works of William Shakespeare as well as listen to the complete works of Bach, Haydn, Shostakovich as well as Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck and John Coltrane.:D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks