What's new

Audyssey MultiEQ XT vs MultiEQ XT32 (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I am assuming quite a few forum members are using Marantz or Denon receivers that use a form of Audyssey MultiEQ. From all my research, the XT32 flavor is better, but is it worth the extra money over just MultiEQ XT? I can get a decent receiver that does everything I need it to but only has MultiEQ XT for $500-$800 but to get XT32, I would have to pay $1200 - $1500. Is there enough of a tangible difference to justify moving up a level and paying a $500+ premium for it?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm surprised nobody has replied.

FWIW, I don't use correction. It can be great for subwoofer integration, but I buy my speakers based on their sound and I don't want a program to decide how they should sound. I then do some EQ myself, because movie soundtracks tend to benefit from that. My music playback is EQ free, though.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have the XT32 feature in my Denon X3300W, and only spent around $700 a few years ago. I purchased the receiver near the end of the model year after prices had dropped. If you look for last year's models, you can probably find something with the better version near your price range.

As to whether it makes a difference, I have never owned a receiver with the older XT variant so I cannot speak from experience, but if you do a Google search on "Audyssey MultiEQ XT vs MultiEQ XT32", the consensus seems to be the more advanced XT32 algorithms do make a difference.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’ve google searched ad nauseam on the differences between the two over the past few weeks. Like you, Scott, I’m reading the x32 is better but I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth the premium.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I’ve google searched ad nauseam on the differences between the two over the past few weeks. Like you, Scott, I’m reading the x32 is better but I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth the premium.
If you don't mind factory refurbished, last year's Denon X3500H has XT32 and is available here for $699.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hi Clinton,

The primary difference between XT and XT32 is the processing power in the DSP available to Audyssey. This means that XT32 can correct more problematic rooms and all things being equal will give a better result than XT in the same room. As was mentioned earlier, it also has the ability to correct bass far more effectively due to the filter resolution:

1594738186035.png

All this said, I strongly recommend anyone considering a new processor or receiver to go with Dirac or Anthem's ARC Genesis room correction instead. Both are far better than Audyssey and have a lot of benefits. Right now the only receivers you can buy with Dirac are from NAD , while you can get a processor/amp combo from Emotiva (though they are less reliable).

Anthem on the other hand offers ARC Genesis on all their new models, and it's a really tremendous product. I've owned multiple XT32 processors from Marantz, AudioControl's Maestro M5 with Dirac and now my processor is an Anthem AVM60. If you want the absolutel best in build quality, reliability and performance in your theater, Anthem is my brand of choice.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Hi Clinton,

The primary difference between XT and XT32 is the processing power in the DSP available to Audyssey. This means that XT32 can correct more problematic rooms and all things being equal will give a better result than XT in the same room. As was mentioned earlier, it also has the ability to correct bass far more effectively due to the filter resolution:

View attachment 75475

All this said, I strongly recommend anyone considering a new processor or receiver to go with Dirac or Anthem's ARC Genesis room correction instead. Both are far better than Audyssey and have a lot of benefits. Right now the only receivers you can buy with Dirac are from NAD , while you can get a processor/amp combo from Emotiva (though they are less reliable).

Anthem on the other hand offers ARC Genesis on all their new models, and it's a really tremendous product. I've owned multiple XT32 processors from Marantz, AudioControl's Maestro M5 with Dirac and now my processor is an Anthem AVM60. If you want the absolutel best in build quality, reliability and performance in your theater, Anthem is my brand of choice.
I have an ancient Anthem MCA-5 that I'm currently using in my rack. A Yamaha RX-V995 is acting as a pre/pro for the Anthem.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Clint, why not tell us what models you're considering? Are you planning to continue using the Anthem amp? I seem to recall you were on the fence about that.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Clint, why not tell us what models you're considering? Are you planning to continue using the Anthem amp? I seem to recall you were on the fence about that.
Hey John, sorry it took so long for me to get back. In the Denon line, I’m considering the S750H, S950H, S960H, X1600H, and X3600H. If I go Marantz, I like the SR5014, SR6014 and SR6015.

Since we moved a couple months ago, I’ve been using the Anthem amp but it’s not really a necessity to continue using it. I only bought it way back when I did because the A/V store was upgrading their floor demo units and the manager made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. I think I paid under $500 for it close to 20 years ago when it was retailing new for (I think) over $1200. My then living room theater was about 600 sq ft so the amp made a huge difference. My new theater room is 149 sq ft so I don’t need nearly that much power to get loud. In the new room, there doesn’t really seem to be an audible difference between using the amp and just using the receiver for power. While using just the receiver, I watch movies with the volume knob up about halfway and the sub’s amp gain at 50%. When using the Anthem amp, I only have to turn the volume knob on the receiver up about 35-40% to reach the same loudness, however, I have to turn the sub’s amp gain up to 60% to compensate for the lower receiver volume.

If I paid more money for a receiver with pre outs, I would most likely continue using the amp because already have it. If I end up getting a model without pre outs, I can easily put the amp in the closet or sell it.

A few weeks ago, I was all in for dropping $1500 for the Marantz SR6014, however, Covid-19 has changed my circumstances significantly. Since my wife had to leave her job last week because it is spreading like wildfire there and she’s immuno-compromised, I don’t think I can justify that much for a new receiver now. I want to. I really, really want to, but I may have to settle for one of the Denon S models like the 750 or 950 until she’s gainfully employed again then revisit a receiver upgrade again in a few years.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Hi Clinton,

View attachment 75475

While Anthem receivers are great, they're also quite expensive and out of many people's price range. I own a Marantz SR7007 (2013 vintage) and it has the basic Audyssey set up. The main thing I notice between what I have and the Audyssey set ups in later units is that in those later versions of Audyssey, one can make changes to the Audyssey settings, whereas in mine, if I change anything which the program has already set, it cancels out the remainder of the settings. So that's a major drawback in my opinion. Has anyone noticed the same thing?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
While Anthem receivers are great, they're also quite expensive and out of many people's price range. I own a Marantz SR7007 (2013 vintage) and it has the basic Audyssey set up. The main thing I notice between what I have and the Audyssey set ups in later units is that in those later versions of Audyssey, one can make changes to the Audyssey settings, whereas in mine, if I change anything which the program has already set, it cancels out the remainder of the settings. So that's a major drawback in my opinion. Has anyone noticed the same thing?
This is a known issue with Audyssey unfortunately. You need the installer kit to work around it.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
While Anthem receivers are great, they're also quite expensive and out of many people's price range.

My open box (floor demo) MRX720 was $1500 with full Anthem warranty. Anthem rules says dealers cant advertise discounted units so you have to call to get better than the $2500 MSRP (MRX720) for open box ect but obviously its worth it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Don’t know if this helps improve Audyssey flexibility relative AnthemARC, but there is an iOS app that gives additional controls (to my meager understanding).

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I finally decided to pull the trigger on a receiver upgrade since my 21 year old Yamaha RX-V995 is beginning to do weird things. With my wife still not working because of a certain public health crisis and the resulting poor job market, I can't justify paying a premium for a Marantz receiver like I originally wanted but I got a good deal on a Denon S750H. I won't be able to use my Anthem amp with it, but I'm not worried about that. As small as my HT room is, the Denon should be able to hold its own with my Paradigm Monitor speakers. The Denon also only has the regular Audyssey MultEQ instead of the MultEQ XT32 but the Yamaha I've been using for the past 21 years has no room correction and I am using a Behringer Feedback Destroyer as a parametric EQ for my sub so I won't be any worse off than I have been on that front either. I'm just happy that now I'll be able to enjoy lossless Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA, and Atmos soundtracks and won't have to be switching inputs on the tv for different sources. Hopefully, I'll be able to upgrade my Panasonic 720P plasma display to a good 4K QLED sometime after Christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks