What's new

Marantz SR7300 - high frequency hiss? (1 Viewer)

Cary P

Stunt Coordinator
OK, Daneel and Louis-Phillipe, you are right.

After experimenting with the unit further, I can hear the high frequency ringing on all digital inputs. When I originally checked each of the inputs last night, I had no source playing and only heard the tone on the DSS input. But if I leave the source playing and mute the receiver, as Daneel suggested, I can hear the high frequency ringing on all digital inputs.

What's worse, I can even here it while in Source Direct mode! If I turn the volume slowly up, I can still discern the ringing up to about the -50db to -40db range on the volume dial. The only way to get rid of the high frequency tone is to switch to the analog inputs.

I purchased the SR7300 in early December when it was first released. I already have a nice, two channel analog tube preamp with home theater bypass, and given that I purchased the SR7300 solely for the upgraded digital processing - I've decided this is unacceptable. I will be visiting my dealer tomorrow for a solution.

I urge all of you who own this unit to test and listen carefully for this flaw. It is subtle at first, but once you are attuned to it, it's quite annoying.

It's really a shame, as the SR7300 is otherwise a really nice receiver. After a long period of research and consideration, I thought I had finally found a nice home theater receiver that I could live with for some time. But I will probably have to return it for exchange or store credit, as it seems like the problem is a design or chip flaw which I doubt Marantz will fix anytime soon.

It seems like much of the competition has many flaws and bugs as well, so I'm not sure what I'll do. I've already returned a Rotel 1066 to my dealer because of it's faulty bass management, and there are no clear alternatives for me at the moment.

This home theater hobby can be a real pain in the rear sometimes. Oh well, I guess I'll be enjoying 2ch SACD and vintage vinyl though my analog preamp until the next home theater unit comes along. Hopefully, the SR7300 OSE or SR8300 will not exhibit this problem.

Cary

Daneel

Stunt Coordinator
Cary P

That pretty much sums up how I feel. I had problems with my dealer who still says there isn't a fault with the unit, it also took me over 30 days to get it back to them so I'm being charged 20% instead of getting all my money back. I bought over the net and in this instance made a bad choice.

My new HT system was supposed to be my pride and joy, I couldn't live with the porblem the my SR7300 had. Without that problem I think it is an excellent receiver for the money.

I have a Pioneer 45tx on order as a replacement, it cost me a bit more $1100 vs $820 (I'm in the UK) but hopefully it will be worth it and I won't have any more problems!

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
It's always something. My SR8200 has none of the hissing or buzzing problems that many receivers are reporting these days (I've tested it pretty thoroughly). Yet, even if it did, I probably wouldn't notice half the time with all the other stuff that annoys the heck out of me. Last night I noticed that NBC and especially Fox had a buzzing sound coming through the signal on DirecTV. It wasn't on cable or the other stations. My four-year-old Trinitron has a minor buzz as well, not to mention the furnace and refrigerator. On top of that, my wife has a habit of turning on the dishwasher just before I sit down for critical listening and/or watching. Oh, and forget about listening during the day when the kids are tearing up the house. It's no wonder I crank up the volume!

Chris

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I was probably one of the first to buy the new 7300. It did have a small hiss at first - but now (about three months later) its gone.

Rick CH

Agent
How long did it take for the hiss/whine to disappear? Can you approximate how many hours per week you used the receiver?

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I noticed that it had dissappeared about 4 to 6 wweks after I boughtit (late Nov.?) It was never that loud, and more like a whine. It was never across the board either. It appeared on 6 chanel stereo for instance, but never on NEO:6. Anyways I haven't noticed it at all for a few weeks now, even with my ear down to the speaker. I play the system 2 to 4 hours per day - more on weekends, maybe 7 or 8 hours.
Another interesting peculiarity is the snap that occurs when I first play a CD. The CD oplayer is connected digitally (optical) and when it is first turned on it sometimes gives a rather tart "snap". This dissappeared for a few weeks and is now back. Anyways I'm nickle and dimeing here - the unit sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.