Marantz SR7300 - high frequency hiss?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Louis-Philippe, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Louis-Philippe

Hello,

I'm the new owner of a Marantz SR7300 and I was wondering if other 7300 owners have this very low level high pitch hiss in their speakers when they get really close to them? This hiss is almost impossible to ear at normal listening distance and is not affected by the audio levels. It's present on all speakers (except headphones) and this on all audio sources.

Is this "normal" machine noise? How about yours?

Thanks for your time.

2. maolen

maolen Auditioning

I don't have this problem with my unit.

3. MWestyn

MWestyn Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I get a little hiss too...not always noticeable though. I just figured it was due to the cheap speaker wire and old speakers I have hooked up to it (had to put new speaker purchase on hold).

Anyone else have any input on this...now I'm curious.

4. PeterCB

PeterCB Agent

Louis-Philippe,

Yes, I have the same problem. The one thing I have noticed is that it is not there in Source Direct mode, so I think it originates in the pre-amp stage. I went back to the dealer last week to listen to his floor sample, and it didn't appear to have the problem.

One of the reasons that I bought the Marantz besides sound quality is because I expected it to be trouble-free. I don't think this type of noise is "normal" in a receiver in this price range. Armed with this post my dealer said that he would go to the Marantz regional sales rep. I expect to hear back later this week (Wednesday or Thursday).

Let me know what you plan to do.

Peter

5. Louis-Philippe

I'm going to go to my dealer by the end of the week and try to have a listen to another fresh out of the box unit. The sales person that sold me my 7300 was not aware of the problem, he went and checked their demo unit... guess what? it was there.

I'm glad to see that some forum members don't have this hiss on their receiver. This is a very good news, that means there is hope!

I'll keep you guys updated.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I have a 5300, which may or may not be a fair comparison, but I get no hiss on any of my channels. However, if you just take any non-playing source and turn it up to the maximum volume, there is a small amount of hiss. Although, iff you still had your hearing while playing back music at this volume, you can be assured it would be masked by the music. [​IMG]. I will say, that this hiss is much louder at maximum volume on many other receivers I've heard. I also noticed, that if i, say turn on the cd player, and switch to another unused or off input, and turn the volume up all the way I can hear the music from the CD player. It varies in strength as I move to inputs further from the cd input, it gets softer, but at maximum volume is quite audible. I would not think that hiss at a normal, or even loud listening level should be acceptable. If you turn anything up all the way, though, there's gonna be hiss.

7. PeterCB

PeterCB Agent

Chris,

The sound we are talking about is not the hiss that you normally hear when you turn the volume all the way up (although that is there too). It sounds more like a high frequency test tone. The frequency and volume vary slightly depending on which mode you are in (Stereo vs. Dolby PL II vs. CS II). It is there no matter what the volume is set at (even at off), remains relatively constant up to about -20db, and starts getting louder above that. The only mode where it's not there is Source Direct.

I agree with you that it's not normal, because I haven't heard it on any other receiver that I have listened to.

Peter

8. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

Yeah, its more like a very small whining rather than a hiss. I have it as well, but only on certain selections (eg. 6 channel stereo, but not Neo:6) and its intermittant - come and goes. Could it just be breaking in?

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yeah, I understand. If at normal volume, you can hear it at the listening position, that is not good. I would talk to your dealer. If you need to go up next to it to hear the hiss, it still seems abnormal, but perhaps you can ignore it. Still, I don't think you should have to put up with it, so go to your dealer. The last thing, though, is that it may not be the receiver at all. Could be another source, a power line causing intereference in cables, ground loop, etc. Talk to your dealer, and also try moving things around, see if there is a power line through the wall where your stuff is, etc. I doubt that it IS the receiver, but if it is, you shouldn't have to put up with it.

And, if it makes you feel any better, I was at a high-end showroom a while back that was running B&W nautiluses off of a very nice anthem setup, and there was a very audible hiss from the tweeters. Not something that I would think would be coming from such nice electronics, nor speakers. Noise is entering ths system somewhere, you just have to find it, because you shouldn't have to put up with it. Hope you find the culprit.

10. Louis-Philippe

Hello all,

Here's an update. I've talked to my dealer and he believes it could be a D/A conversion problem or something related to the noise gate. According to him, this is something that could be fixed via a firmware upgrade. He's going to call Marantz this week to talk about it.

Again, this is all speculations at the present time...

11. maolen

maolen Auditioning

I have again checked my unit last night for the hiss sound
    and am happy to say that my unit does not have it.
    I hope your units can be fixed.

12. Paul_SM

Paul_SM Auditioning

My One is due in the next few days so Will let you know if it has the same problem.

13. Rick CH

Rick CH Agent

I just got a 7300 as well and also noticed this sound. I'd describe it more like the sound you hear when your ears are ringing. It does go away when switched to Source Direct. Any resolution to the problem? I'm hoping I can go back to my dealer knowing what the problem is and hopefully that would speed up the repair process.

14. Louis-Philippe

Hello Rich,

That is a good analogy to describe this hiss. I also compare it to the "sound" of an old tube television that is left open in a room without volume. Some people can hear the high pitch sound it emits and some people don't.

Take care.

15. Louis-Philippe

Hello everybody,

Here’s the conclusion to my Marantz SR7300’s story. After 1 month of phone-tag with my dealer, I brought the unit to the store for exchange. The technician plugged the unit in his shop and could clearly hear the hiss once he moved closer to the speakers… I then asked to listen to their demo unit. We moved to a nice listing room, and as soon as he activated it, I could ear the hiss but he couldn’t…

In short, I believe that the hiss is present on many 7300, but at different intensity. I also believe that some people are extremely sensible to this frequency and can hear it from their listing position, some others would only hear it when they stick their ears on the speakers and some would never ear it.

Did I exchange it for another 7300?

No, I did not.

As much as I wanted this unit to work, I couldn’t live with that hiss… I loved the sound of the Marantz, either I stayed with them or went with Yamaha.

I made the big move. I went for a Marantz SR8200. Way more expensive that I planned, but what a killer amp!

Take care everybody.

16. Cary P

Cary P Stunt Coordinator

I also can hear the low level, high frequency tone if I put my ear within about three feet of the speaker. Thanks for pointing out this problem, I hadn't noticed it before. It is separate from the normal hiss one usually hears right up next to the speaker, I agree that it sounds more like a high frequency test tone on top of the normal hiss.

As others have reported, I don't hear it in source direct mode and with the analog 7 channel direct input - so it does seem to be related to the digital processing in some way. The funny thing is, I only here it with the DSS input. I don't hear it on the DVD or CD input in Dolby Digital, PLII Movie, or PLII Music mode.

I'm using coax digital for the DVD and CD inputs, optical digital for DSS. Maybe we can isolate this problem just to the optical inputs. Are others having the same experience?

One other consideration, I have the DSS input set to auto sense between the digital and analog inputs, so maybe the problem is isolated to the D/A auto-sensing circuitry. I'll play around with the unit some more tomorrow to see if this is the case.

Given the tone is very low in level, and doesn't manifest itself on the inputs I use for serious music listening, I doubt if I will worry about it too much. Nevertheless, it is a little disturbing now that I know it exists. It will be interesting to hear if the 7300 OSE or the new 8300 exhibits the same behavior.

Otherwise, I'm quite happy with the receiver and haven't experienced any other bugs or flaws in it's performance.

Cary

17. Daneel

Daneel Stunt Coordinator

Cary P:

How did you check for it when in a digital mode? with my SR7300 if I stopped the CD/DVD player the sound vanished, but if I left the source playing and muted the receiver the high pitch sound could be clearly heard.

18. Louis-Philippe

Hello Daneel,

I also noticed that, pausing on a dvd would make the hiss vanish, but playing or stopping the dvd would bring it back.

In short it's always there for digital inputs (coaxial or optical).

Take care.

19. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

To those who have the hiss problem, what is the manufacture date on your respective units?? I'm picking one up today and was curious if when it was made may have anything to do with the problem.

Thank you,

Steve

20. Paul_SM

Paul_SM Auditioning

Same prob with mine. Useing DVD digital coaxial input you get the problem (will try the optical later but sounds like it's has the same prob). Stop playing the dvd and it stops too.
    Noise is in all modes but s-direct (The tone does change slightly in some), Be it Analog or digital input. Not bad but still annoying. Wll be interesting to see if Marantz bothers with the problem. This will test their customer service.

Other than that, I love the thing

Paul