What's new

Marantz SR-9300: Analogue Bypass? (1 Viewer)

JohnBAIL

Grip
I understand the Marantz SR-9300 receiver has an analogue bypass mode, called 'source direct'. Does anyone have a view on how good that bypass is for two-channel stereo sources? That is, does it really bypass all the 'nasties' in the receiver?

Thanks.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
The quick answer is: it depends. Analog bypass (source direct) is essential if you have a lower-quality receiver and a good CD player, or if you have a CD player that does not have a digital output. However, the Marantz 9300 is a flagship with great DACs and (I believe) the dual-differential mode that chains multiple DACs together for stereo playback. You may find that the stereo performance is as good or better than Source Direct, plus you get all the bass management features that you lose with SD. I have stuck with the Marantz brand name primarily because of their superior ability to handle 2 channel music. For what it's worth, when I had a lower-end model (SR7000), I always used source direct and an analog output from my CD player. Since upgrading to the SR8200, I almost always use Stereo with a digital output from my CD player. With the 9300, you really can't go wrong either way if you use a proper setup.

Chris

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ditto what Chris said. With my 6200, I used to use SD via analog when critically listening, but with my 8300, I found that the ADDC does a great job with a digital (coax) connection. SD bypasses tone controls, bass management (meaning your speakers will be set to large) and any type of processing.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
With my SR 7000 and SR 8000 you need to use Source Direct to get the best sound, which really, for the most part, means the best BASS sound. Ditto for my SR 6200. As the previous posters have mentioned, it seems that for anything like the SR 8200 and above, Source Direct is un-neccesary and in some cases, because of the fancy double DAC business, the Source Direct is even inferior in some peoples experience. I'll be selling all these receivers and grabbing a used SR 8200 (updated firmware) or SR 8300 or higher partly for the fact that I'll no longer need Source Direct for the best sound.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
A side benefit of this is that you get to hear your receiver at its best while watching DVD's and using the receivers crossover.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks