What's new

Marantz 8260 SACD player (1 Viewer)

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Has anyone listened to this player vs Sony's SACD players?

In isolation, the Marantz sounds very good with both SACD and CD and looks very nicely built and seems competitively priced (~A$2200).

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Craig,

I think because most of the people in this forum are from the US, you're likely to hear comparisons between it and the C555ES. This SACD player is not available here in Australia. Best player available here to compare with the Marantz is the Sony XA-333ES, which is basically the little brother of the XA777ES (they are the same except for a slightly different output stage, less weighty construction and no triple-dac configuration in stereo). You can check out some reviews of both players at Audioasylum.com I believe there was also another Aussie trying to toss up between the Marantz and Sony players. Just in case you didn't know, the XA333ES retails for AUD$4000, but you can get it from Len Wallis in Sydney or Trevor Lees in Melbourne for AUD$3000. The XA777ES is around double this price retail, though can be had for less.

Cheers,
Mike

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Craig, I have not heard the '8260, nor have I read comparisons between it and Sony players. I agree with Mike in that the 'XA333ES is the closest Sony model to the '8260. Continue checking this site and the Hi-Rez Highway board on Audio Asylum for reviews of the '8260.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Thanks Guys. Knowing the comparitive Sony model was what I wanted. With that pricing, the Marantz looks REAL nice as an audio only unit :)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
A friend of mine ordered one and should have it within 2 weeks. I downloaded the manual and looked at it before I bought a lightly used XA777ES. No level controls for the channels per the manual. That means if you intend to use it in multi-channel you should be equal distant from your speakers in your set-up and at least the same efficiency if not the same speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks