What's new

Man in China sues after ads delay movie by four minutes (1 Viewer)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
And I thought that moronic lawsuits were exclusive to the United States. What else is he suing for, reimbursement for getting his cavity filled after spending the past 20 years snacking on Gummi Bears?

Cam S

Screenwriter
That is really sad. People will find anything to sue a company over. Just like the McDonald's "Fat" lawsuits.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
The westernization of China :)
Good to see the people are following the plan accordingly.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
It's a ridiculous lawsuit, but maybe the headlines will actually lead to less commercials in front of movies...
...yeah, right. :rolleyes

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
Now I'm fired up. If he can sue the theater and studio for showing ads, I'm thinking that I have a shot at suing our local meteorologists for f***ing up the weather forecast yesterday. :D

Christopher~O

Stunt Coordinator
Sweet. It's always appaled me that I have to pay $13.50 CDN for a movie then sit through 4 or 5 commercials before the previews.

This combined with droves of inconsiderate movie goers pretty much keeps me out of the theatres except for a couple of movies a year.

Cheers.

Brett_H

Second Unit
All,

While I agree that it sounds like a frivolous lawsuit, at least he's only trying to receive 2x the cost of his ticket for a monetary reward (in addition to blocking the inclusion of advertisements before the film). He doesn't seem to be suing to get rich quick but rather to try and "change the system". I know it's not exactly an attempt to solve something as noble as world hunger, but IMO it's a lot better than the people who sue McD's for their overweight children...

-Brett.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Well, I for one don't go to the movies to watch tv commercials. I enjoy watching the theatrical trailers but when you throw in an ad for Toyota than another ad for joining the army than another ad and another...
The last film I went to see was The Two Towers. It was supposed to start at 6:30 p.m. After the 5 minutes of "tv commercials" and 5 minutes of theatrical trailers, the film started at 6:40 or so.
My solution to this is play all the ads and the trailers before the actual start time intead of just sitting there looking at a blank screen.
Maybe I should contact my attorney about this. ;)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Our showing of Catch me if you can started 15 minutes late, and I would say that the ads started about 5 minutes or more before the scheduled start time.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Mmm. I'd say this is apparently not an American.
You people think it's frivolous, because you're so accustomed to those ads. But I can tell you: I was amazed to hear that part of the attraction of the Soprano's series stems from the fact that it's written without any thought of ad-timing. (I didn't notice that first, because we generally don't have ads during our TV shows on non-commercial networks.). And the article also says he may have a case.
And he's only suing for the price of a ticket!
No. No signs of americanization of China yet here! :D
Cees

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
About 7 years ago, I went to a Chow Yun-fat "movie" at a theater in GunagZhou, China. The movie played OK, although the image was kinda dim and grainy. Then about halfway through the movie, the screen turned blue, and the words "Side A Ended" appeared on the upper right hand side of the screen. Then followed by "Open", "Closing", and finally "Playing Side B". Yes, this was at a theater with a silver screen.

You think I have a case? Too much time has passed??

brentl

Senior HTF Member
The dollar value is not the problem, it the waste of the courts time that bugs me.

He'll also get court costs and attorney fees if he wins.

So, once again it's the lawyers getting rich.

Brent

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
My solution to this is play all the ads and the trailers before the actual start time intead of just sitting there looking at a blank screen.
when I was a projectionist I used to operate the booth this way, I would often start projectors 5-10 minutes early so the FEATURE started AT the start time, but too many people bitched because "there's always 5 or 10 minutes of trailers" and no one can be ON FUCKING TIME. sorry, rant off :)
just remember you have to operate for the lowest common denominator, usually a moron.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
If I owned a theater, no one would be allowed in after the advertised start time. Because of these late bastards, many theaters don't even turn the lights down during the trailers anymore. You have to get adjusted to the dark while watching the first few minutes of the movie and lose the little bit of enjoyment you might get from the trailers you are interested in because the screen is washed out.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
More power to him!
I for one, am sick and tired of going to the movies to watch TV commercials. If I wanted that I would just stay home. By the time all the advertisements are over (along with the trailers)my dang hotdog has been finished. :angry:
The cost of going to the movies is expensive, tag along concessions and it's really expensive. I don't pay that kind of coinage to view advertisements.
They really have a good thing going don't they? Hmmm lets see yes, yes we will put your Toyota commercial up and you will pay us Mr. Advertiser, and......our customers will actually PAY us to watch your ads. Wow I should go into that business hmmmmmmmmm.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Eve. I was just commenting the other day to my wife when we went to go see Harry Potter how I don't like all the preshow ads. I understand the theaters need the money to make up for revenue lost to movie rentals and HT geeks like us. But, it ruins the whole theater experience for me.

How long before pop-up ads start appearing at the bottom of the screen during the show?

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Good for him.

I hate hate hate ads in the movie theater!! This past weekend I went to see the new Harry Potter flick, and had to sit through about 10 frickin minutes of ads for Soda, a videogame, NFL football, Blockbuster Video, Mountain Dew and a few others I cant remember.

I sickens me to the core, that I cannot go anywhere these days without getting commercials crammed down my throat. I pay $9.25 for a movie ticket, I don't feel I should be subjected to ads for Pepsi Blue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks