What's new

Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! (2018) (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I was fairly skeptical of the sequel...I love the first and never thought it begged for anything else.

But damn. I had such a good time. I don't care the dancing and singing is just okay in most cases...I enjoyed myself like I rarely do in the theater. I might like movies, but I don't walk out feeling good about the world. I did here. That's becoming my barometer for judging movies in my old age: did I have fun? And it's a big yes here.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Saw this on Saturday and enjoyed it a lot. I hadn't seen the original since the theatrical release, so I didn't remember it well enough to be bothered by the inconsistencies.

I don't mind the casting of Pierce. Despite not being the best singer, it's rather charming that he tries. And that genuine laugh that keeps slipping out in scenes like he's kind of embarrassed. I did think Jeremy Irvine was the weakest singer of the younger versions as well.

Makes me smile seeing Cher -- have been a fan for decades.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
It was incredibly emotional for me...my Mom (who passed away in 2010) was a HUGE ABBA fan, I took her to see Mamma Mia on stage twice (see danced during the encore at the 2008 show---at 82!) and of course, we went to see the movie when it came out. She would have LOVED this. (And I was close to bawling during Fernando, her favorite song, and My Love, My Life, well, for obvious reasons.)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I hadn't seen the original since the theatrical release, so I didn't remember it well enough to be bothered by the inconsistencies.

The funny thing is that during the course of this film, it's so good and so much fun that I didn't mind at all. But then, after it was over, is when I started thinking, "Hmm, that doesn't quite fit." But even though I noticed it, it didn't stop me from enjoying it thoroughly.

I just think it's a weird choice to make a movie with prequel element that wants you to remember the previous film but simultaneously doesn't fit with it. But I still thought it was great.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Tidbits from the movie...
Bjorn and Benny make cameos again (Bjorn during the commencement, Benny playing piano at the restaurant).
During the credits (because I HAD to stay for the post-credits "number") I noticed Benny played piano/keyboards on the music, but surprisingly Bjorn didn't play guitars. I did recognize a couple of the names from the original "band" they did the original recordings with and this kind of shocked me he didn't play on it.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why they don't dub songs nowadays (Pierce Brosnan)? In the past when a star couldn't sing, they used a real singer to dub the star. Anyone knows if there are a lot of big old movies with the singing dubbed by other performers than the star?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Why they don't dub songs nowadays (Pierce Brosnan)? In the past when a star couldn't sing, they used a real singer to dub the star. Anyone knows if there are a lot of big old movies with the singing dubbed by other performers than the star?

I'm sure there still is SOME dubbing in modern Hollywood. For instance, I'd be shocked to learn that Rami Malek does his own vocals in the new Queen movie - I assume they'll use original Freddie tracks.

In general, though, I'd think there's less tolerance for that by audiences - and also actors won't want to look like they "cheated". 55 years ago, how many viewers knew that Audrey Hepburn didn't sing in "My Fair Lady"?

I'm betting it's a much smaller percentage than the # that would know Meryl Streep used someone else's voice in "MM!" if she'd done so.

Also, Autotune is the new dubbing to a degree. I've not seen "MM2", but there was a lot of Autotune in the original.

Though all the Autotune in the world won't save Brosnan's dying walrus vocals! :D

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Well, for me, it always comes off as fake. You can tell when someone is really singing or just lip syncing. I'd rather have an actor try and know they're not great than have a dub.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Why is everyone so hard on him? He barely sings at all in this movie, and what little there is, was fine, and fully accepted by the full audience at the showing I saw.

I've not seen the new movie, so I'm not commenting on his work in it.

I still have nightmares about his vocals in the first movie, though! :eek::eek::eek:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Well, for me, it always comes off as fake. You can tell when someone is really singing or just lip syncing. I'd rather have an actor try and know they're not great than have a dub.
Absolutely everyone was dubbed in almost all movie musicals from the dawn of sound. It was just a question of whether or not they sang along to their own voice or someone else’s. There is a full Rita Hayworth album where she is dubbed for every song she sang in all her musicals.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Even Disney was doing this fairly recently. In Aladdin, both Aladdin (Scott Weinger) and Princess Jasmine (Linda Larkin) had different actors provide their "singing" voices (Brad Kane and Lea Salonga).

It was the same for Simba and Nala in The Lion King.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The point I am trying to make is that except for Les Mis, it is all lip syncing!

But it's a very different situation if you're lip-synching to your own vocals.

Of course very few movies force the actors to sing live on the set, but at least those actors' vocals are their own.

As noted, animated movies offer some singer/actor splits, but in this day and age, it's pretty rare for actors to be dubbed by someone else...

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
The Greatest Showman’s Jenny
Lind was the last example I can think of. We didn’t realize this until we bought the CD.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The Greatest Showman’s Jenny
Lind was the last example I can think of. We didn’t realize this until we bought the CD.

Good point. IIRC, that case was somewhat unusual because the character needed to have a GREAT voice, whereas most musicals don't require such high standards...

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Once you know ABBA forwards and backwards, then everything else will read just the same.:D

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The point I am trying to make is that except for Les Mis, it is all lip syncing!
Don't forget to add Rex Harrison in "My Fair Lady" to your Les Mis exception list.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks