What's new

Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! (2018)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Title: Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! (2018)

Genre: Comedy, Romance, Music

Director: Ol Parker

Cast: Amanda Seyfried, Lily James, Christine Baranski, Julie Walters, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgård, Dominic Cooper, Meryl Streep, Andy García, Cher, Jessica Keenan Wynn, Alexa Davies, Jeremy Irvine, Hugh Skinner, Josh Dylan, Omid Djalili, Celia Imrie, Maria Vacratsis, Panos Mouzourakis, Gerard Monaco, Anna Antoniades, Björn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson, Jonathan Goldsmith, Naoko Mori, Togo Igawa, Alexandra Ford, Susanne Barklund, Anastasia Hille, Jane Fowler, Maria Despina, Kathryn Akin, Dale Branston, Sarah Cortez, Alim Jayda, Sonia Dorado, Beth Willetts, Tim Wallers, Amy Trigg, Marianna Neofitou, Ava Brennan, Tom Oakley, Duncan Smith, Sharif Afifi, Myra McFadyen, Craig Anthony-Kelly, Sharon Gomez, Natalia Campbell, Jacqueline Braun, Dawn Buckland, Cassie Clare, Leon Cooke, Adam Galbraith, Jenny Galloway, Linzi Hateley, Pip Hersee, Lampros Kalfuntzos

Release: 2018-07-19

Runtime: 120

Plot: Young Donna, Sam and Harry forge relationships that resonate in the present.

Last edited:

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoy the original musical on its own terms (a fun jukebox musical). And even if this has a good story I wonder what songs they will use since the first one used all the major hits. As an ABBA fan I will definitely see this but I'm not sure musically how well it will be done.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
When I saw the first movie, I thought I have seen this before. It's the same story as one of my childhood movies. Later with great difficulty I found it. It's a ripoff or homage to Buona Sera, Mrs. Campbell (1968).

MV5BZWNlODdkMjYtNmFjMC00MTZjLTljOWUtMDI5MzA4OWQ3NzZmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjE5MjUyOTM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Well, as much as I love ABBA, and the movie (I think I was the only guy in the theater), I'm apprehensive, mostly because there aren't that many great and well-known songs left to fill another movie.
But the list of actors looked good. Cher, wow!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So in that trailer, everyone seems to be referring to Donna (Streep) in the past tense. Is she dead? That would explain why Streep has the "and" credit on the poster, rather than top billing, and has been saying that her role is small.

But killing off the lead is also pretty dark stuff for a musical comedy piece of fluff.

(I liked the first movie quite a bit, and the stage show too, but it is a piece of fluff.)

Second thing: from the trailer, it seems like Sophie is pregnant but on her own, which means she left her ex-fiancee Sky. But we know Dominic Cooper, who plays Sky, is in the movie. I suspect it will end with Sky winning her back, whether or not the baby is his...and, they won't do a paternity test on the kid either, just like the "Let's all be the dad!" ending of the first one.

Also, if Cher is Sophie's grandmother, and she obviously has no problems crashing parties to which she was not invited, then why wasn't her character at Sophie's wedding in the first movie? I always assumed Donna's mother had passed away at some point prior to the events of the first film, which would have explained her non-presence.

Hmm.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
So in that trailer, everyone seems to be referring to Donna (Streep) in the past tense. Is she dead? That would explain why Streep has the "and" credit on the poster, rather than top billing, and has been saying that her role is small.

But killing off the lead is also pretty dark stuff for a musical comedy piece of fluff.

(I liked the first movie quite a bit, and the stage show too, but it is a piece of fluff.)

Second thing: from the trailer, it seems like Sophie is pregnant but on her own, which means she left her ex-fiancee Sky. But we know Dominic Cooper, who plays Sky, is in the movie. I suspect it will end with Sky winning her back, whether or not the baby is his...and, they won't do a paternity test on the kid either, just like the "Let's all be the dad!" ending of the first one.

Also, if Cher is Sophie's grandmother, and she obviously has no problems crashing parties to which she was not invited, then why wasn't her character at Sophie's wedding in the first movie? I always assumed Donna's mother had passed away at some point prior to the events of the first film, which would have explained her non-presence.

Hmm.

Wait - Cher plays Meryl Streep's mother? Even though she's only 3 years older than Streep? And many of Cher's body parts are much younger??? :laugh:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
According to "Family Guy," Cher was playing a concert in Bethlehem the night Jesus was born. So that would make her old enough. :D

Hey Bethlehem, I have one question for you....Do you believe in life after love...

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I always assumed Donna's mother had passed away at some point prior to the events of the first film

Wait - Cher plays Meryl Streep's mother?

I get that your question was in relation to the age difference, or lack thereof...but...I just watched the first movie again for the first time since its theatrical release ten years ago.

I noticed a distinct line in which Donna (Meryl) points upward and says "Someone up there has it in for me. I bet it's my mother."

So...at least according to the first film, I was right and Donna's mother is dead. Except that now she's not, because Cher is playing her. So the sequel is playing fast and lose with its predecessor's continuity. Not that many people will notice or care in a movie like this, where the story has never been the main concern so much as the music...but it's still a continuity error whether people care or not.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I get that your question was in relation to the age difference, or lack thereof...but...I just watched the first movie again for the first time since its theatrical release ten years ago.

I noticed a distinct line in which Donna (Meryl) points upward and says "Someone up there has it in for me. I bet it's my mother."

So...at least according to the first film, I was right and Donna's mother is dead. Except that now she's not, because Cher is playing her. So the sequel is playing fast and lose with its predecessor's continuity. Not that many people will notice or care in a movie like this, where the story has never been the main concern so much as the music...but it's still a continuity error whether people care or not.

The first movie was always a mess in terms of logic. From my review:

"Would someone explain the chronology of the story to me? I get the feeling that the movie’s supposed to take place in 2008, as the fashions sure look current, and references to the Internet seem to set the tale in the then-present. This means that Donna’s trysts with the guys would’ve taken place in the late Eighties – and since Sophie seems to be early 20s, this makes sense.

However, the flashbacks to those scenes never remotely resemble 80s fashions or music. The Harry sequences give off a very late Seventies vibe, while the Sam and Bill elements feel like they go back all the way to the Sixties. We even hear a reference to the Summer of Love – that was 1967! Donna’s pop group clearly existed as a Seventies entity as well; they would’ve been long out of fashion by 1988."

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Since this is a "prequel" it's possible that Cher plays Donna's mother in the past.

Sidenote: I don't think fans of the first movie really care about plot holes. :)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Speaking of the first movie, the UHD version of it which was just released looked great.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Since this is a "prequel" it's possible that Cher plays Donna's mother in the past.

Sidenote: I don't think fans of the first movie really care about plot holes. :)

Clearly not! :)

I guess we won't know for sure whether Cher is supposed to be "present day" Streep's mother or "30 years ago" Streep's mother, but the synopsis on Wiki implies the former:

"Ten years later, in the greek island of Kalokairi, Sophie is pregnant with Sky and runs her mother's villa. Self-conflicted because she can't do it by herself, with Tanya and Rosie's guidance, Sophie will find out more of Donna's past and how she owned the hotel, met each one of Sophie’s dads and raised a baby, all on her own – with an unexpected visit of someone she had never met before: her grandmother."

So it Cher meets Sophie NOW, obviously we're supposed to buy Cher as "modern day" Streep's mother.

It's possible they'll use her sparingly in 2018 scenes, add some "old age" makeup - even though Cher is 71! - and make Cher a "younger-looking granny" in the "prequel" scenes.

Who knows? I think I've just worried more about plot logic than anyone actually involved in the film's creation! :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Could be a case of where Streep's character has told everyone her mother is dead (bad blood, not speaking, easier to explain to a young child why her grandmother is not around), but she's really not dead at all.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I suspect that the answer is much simpler. When they wrote that line, they meant she was dead, because they weren't planning on a sequel. Now, they are, and somebody thought it would be a cool idea to bring in Donna's mother, so they've simply decided to ignore it even though they know it presents a continuity error. he same thing happened to Pixar when they made Monsters University (ignoring a line from Monsters, Inc. about how Mike and Sully knew each other in fourth grade to instead show us their meeting for the first time at college) because the old line didn't service the new story. And Pixar is a whole lot more concerned about tightly-plotted story than anything in Mamma Mia! was,

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks