What's new

Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! (2018) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Mamma Mia 2 poster.jpg

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Soundtrack CD dropped today, it turns out there were a number of good songs that never made it to the first movie, so my apprehension earlier was maybe unfounded.
Also, writer/director Ol Parker wrote and directed both Hotel Marigold movies, chances are this script is better that the first movie, which was mostly a hits cavalcade, with charm.
Me, I can't wait for a second chance to be the only guy in the theater ;), and I will pick up the CD on my way home from work, having listened to it on Spotify today.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Me, I can't wait for a second chance to be the only guy in the theater

:laugh:

I have a feeling I might be accompanying my wife to the theater for this one. Although sometimes she doesn't mind waiting for the disc release. But she has some sort of strange affinity for the first film. :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not sure about this one. I recall liking the original on my first viewing, but caught it on cable this past weekend and didn't really like it on second viewing. The Julie Walters character especially annoyed me this time.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The one thing I like a LOT is that it is strikingly beautiful (due to its location).

The Julie Walters character especially annoyed me this time.

Yes!. And, for me, this was another "miss" for Streep. And then there's Brosnan's singing.

Did I mention I think the setting is beautiful?? :D

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Soundtrack CD dropped today, it turns out there were a number of good songs that never made it to the first movie, so my apprehension earlier was maybe unfounded.
Also, writer/director Ol Parker wrote and directed both Hotel Marigold movies, chances are this script is better that the first movie, which was mostly a hits cavalcade, with charm.
Me, I can't wait for a second chance to be the only guy in the theater ;), and I will pick up the CD on my way home from work, having listened to it on Spotify today.

Agreed!
“My Love My Life” has been one of my favorite ABBA songs sine it was released. It was the beginning of the “adult” ABBA music. Also glad to see “I’ve Been Waiting For You” and “Day Before You Came” in there as well.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I was gonna go via one of those free "Gofobo" events... but then I remembered "hey, I have AMC A-List' - why go out of my way to see the movie when I can watch it during regular release for 'free'?"

I was gonna go via AMC A-List but then I remembered "hey, the first movie was one of the most God-awful things I've ever seen - even for free, why go to watch the sequel?"

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I was gonna go via one of those free "Gofobo" events... but then I remembered "hey, I have AMC A-List' - why go out of my way to see the movie when I can watch it during regular release for 'free'?"

I was gonna go via AMC A-List but then I remembered "hey, the first movie was one of the most God-awful things I've ever seen - even for free, why go to watch the sequel?"
Colin, you just don't know what you're missing ;)
"one of the most God-awful things I've ever seen", seriously, I thought you had seen thousands of movies ...
Oh well, to each his own.
Me, I just discovered there's just been a new, private, small theater just opened right where I live, showing a selection of oldies and new stuff in a bistro setting, movies for movie lovers, and not only do they show this, but will also show also Moulin Rouge! and a bunch of other musicals in connection.
Great stuff!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
writer/director Ol Parker wrote and directed both Hotel Marigold movies, chances are this script is better that the first movie.

You're half right. Parker wrote both of those, but they were directed by John Madden.

I pre-ordered the soundtrack because I'm sure I'm going to want it. But I won't listen to it until after the movie, which I can't wait for next week. I'm going to be honest here; I am totally stoked for this and am so excited to see what's next.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah, she said she was singing that when she announced she was joining the film.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Colin, you just don't know what you're missing ;)
"one of the most God-awful things I've ever seen", seriously, I thought you had seen thousands of movies ...

That I have - and the original "MM" is one of the most awful movies I've seen, especially if one considers the talent involved.

At least the sequel has a new director. I won't claim a better director would've made "MM" good, but Phyllida Lloyd's utter incompetence behind the camera was one of the many problems with the film...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Phyllida Lloyd's utter incompetence behind the camera was one of the many problems with the film...

Lloyd got the job because she had also directed the stage show, which was/is enormously successful, and her stage direction works. The problem is that Mamma Mia! was her first film, and I don't think she understood how to reconceive it for film. Susan Stroman had the same problem on The Producers. I agree with you that her direction is extremely problematic, and yet I still like the resulting movie overall. I think it just works on charm.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I watched the first film a few nights ago on Netflix. It was gloriously terrible. But it was also fun from beginning to end, and the people on screen looked like they were having fun. It helps that it didn't take itself at all seriously.

In my head, Christine Baranski's character in this is secretly Maryanne Thorpe, incognito.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I watched the first film a few nights ago on Netflix. It was gloriously terrible. But it was also fun from beginning to end, and the people on screen looked like they were having fun. It helps that it didn't take itself at all seriously.

In my head, Christine Baranski's character in this is secretly Maryanne Thorpe, incognito.

Thats not a stretch. The writer of the play is on record that he based the character on Maryanne, even though it wasn't Baranski playing the role in the play.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks