What's new

Mamie Van Doren: Queen of the Drive-In (1 Viewer)

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Mamie Van Doren specialized in B-movie film noirs and coming-of-age melodramas during the 1950s. Jayne Mansfield, who considered Van Doren her professional nemesis, once called her the "drive-in's answer to Monroe".

Any fans?

MAMIE-VAN-DOREN-Autographed-Signed-PHOTOGRAPH.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm not sure I qualify as a fan but I've always enjoyed Mamie Van Doren when I've seen her in films. I also have her interesting autobiography in which she does herself no favors. Perhaps it's time I uploaded some more photos of Mamie into the Blondes thread.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I'm not sure I qualify as a fan but I've always enjoyed Mamie Van Doren when I've seen her in films. I also have her interesting autobiography in which she does herself no favors. Perhaps it's time I uploaded some more photos of Mamie into the Blondes thread.
I've seen few of her films, and those that I have she wasn't the star of the film. She was rarely the star of A-list features, but headlined a host of B-films, almost all showcasing her considerable singing talent and curvaceousness.

Overall, I find her to be the most bland of the Three M's: Monroe, Mamie, and Mansfield.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I do wish HBO or someone would do Mamie justice, however, and give her a good bio-documentary. She's still alive and well and could easily be interviewed.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I've seen few of her films, and those that I have she wasn't the star of the film. She was rarely the star of A-list features, but headlined a host of B-films, almost all showcasing her considerable singing talent and curvaceousness.

Overall, I find her to be the most bland of the Three M's: Monroe, Mamie, and Mansfield.
I would hardly call Mamie Van Doren bland , but she was least acclaimed of the fifties blonde triumvirate.
I agree that a documentary about her while she is still alive would be fantastic . Just her stories about people like Jayne M., Elvis , Eddie Cochrane , Bo Belinski , Ray Anthony etc . alone , would make it worthwhile .

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I would hardly call Mamie Van Doren bland , but she was least acclaimed of the fifties blonde triumvirate.
I agree that a documentary about her while she is still alive would be fantastic . Just her stories about people like Jayne M., Elvis , Eddie Cochrane , Bo Belinski , Ray Anthony etc . alone , would make it worthwhile .
I suppose I should clarify by usage of bland here. Mamie, in comparison to Monroe and Mansfield, comes off as somewhat second-rate and too mimicky for my tastes. She's quite lovely looking, but her filmography is cluttered with bad movies, which isn't any fault to her necessarily. She was the least talented of the three in opinion, acting-wise at least, but was arguably just as popular as Mansfield at least at her peak.

I think the reasoning behind my terminology lies in her career and her self-promoting image she executes to this day. She rubs me as semi-sleazy, and I find it rather difficult to believe anything she says in the interviews she gives nowadays. Her comments on Monroe and Mansfield come off, to me at least, as an attempt to grab some kind of tabloid fame today for knowing the two tragic blondes and for being the only surviving member of the Three M's trio.

I don't hold anything against Van Doren personally I should add. Actually, I was just viewing some of her movies on Amazon in consideration of purchasing a handful to add to my B-move gallery on my DVD shelf. I'm particularly in getting High School Confidential, often considered the zenith of drive-in teenager flicks, and a tri-bundle set including Vice Raid, The Girl in Black Stockings, and Guns, Girls, and Gangsters.

Perhaps if I did some more tinkering with her history I'd be more favorable of her presence and myth.

Where should I start?

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The last 3 titles are included in Kino's box. They're not bad films if you accept them for what they are: B pictures. And Mamie is effective in all of them. I enjoyed them. The transfers are quite good as well.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
The last 3 titles are included in Kino's box. They're not bad films if you accept them for what they are: B pictures. And Mamie is effective in all of them. I enjoyed them. The transfers are quite good as well.
Most of the reviews I've read generally agree with you. As long as I expect the movies as B-films, I'll be good.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I'm seriously considering buying them with my next paycheck. Of course, I already knew they were all B-films, so I don't I'll be disappointed necessarily.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I suppose I should clarify by usage of bland here. Mamie, in comparison to Monroe and Mansfield, comes off as somewhat second-rate and too mimicky for my tastes. She's quite lovely looking, but her filmography is cluttered with bad movies, which isn't any fault to her necessarily. She was the least talented of the three in opinion, acting-wise at least, but was arguably just as popular as Mansfield at least at her peak.

I think the reasoning behind my terminology lies in her career and her self-promoting image she executes to this day. She rubs me as semi-sleazy, and I find it rather difficult to believe anything she says in the interviews she gives nowadays. Her comments on Monroe and Mansfield come off, to me at least, as an attempt to grab some kind of tabloid fame today for knowing the two tragic blondes and for being the only surviving member of the Three M's trio.

I don't hold anything against Van Doren personally I should add. Actually, I was just viewing some of her movies on Amazon in consideration of purchasing a handful to add to my B-move gallery on my DVD shelf. I'm particularly in getting High School Confidential, often considered the zenith of drive-in teenager flicks, and a tri-bundle set including Vice Raid, The Girl in Black Stockings, and Guns, Girls, and Gangsters.

Perhaps if I did some more tinkering with her history I'd be more favorable of her presence and myth.

Where should I start?
Beat Generation , High School Confidential, Teachers Pet, Sex Kittens Go To College , and you might want to check out the CD of her singing on the Hoo Doo Label. If nothing else she was always entertaining ! The Kino box set is good as well.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Box set ordered! Can’t wait!!!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

The Girl with black stockings was a great who done it. I enjoyed it.
On to the heist film “Guns, Girls and Gangsters”!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The Girl with black stockings was a great who done it. I enjoyed it.
On to the heist film “Guns, Girls and Gangsters”!

Loved this one too. Great to see Lee Van Cleef! I liked the music numbers by Mamie too.

The voiceovers were a bit much and I wish the film would’ve have not used them.

Vice Raid is next.

I may pick up Born Reckless as well.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I enjoyed Vice Raid but not as much as the other 2 films in the Blu-ray set.

Teachers pet and Born Reckless are 2 on my digital wish list.

High school confidential was listed as another one to see.

Ill have to research a bit to see which one sounds interesting to watch next.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks