What's new

Malata DVP520 questions (for owners of N996 too) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
My DVP520 (successor to the N996) just arrived from Link Removed , and setting it up was nowhere as convoluted as I had been led to believe the N996 was. The menus were in English, and arranged logically. This player has the upgrade switch on the back, and is apparently a N996 in a slimmer case.
I do have a couple of questions that those with the N996 may be able to answer.
I have a Toshiba 16x9 progressive set, so I have set the video mode to Y Cb Cr, the only one that works. The TV setup is set to 16x9, but this is squishing all the 4:3 material. With my 5109, I have my TV set in standard mode for 4:3, Theatrewide for nonanamorphic widescreen, and full for anamorphic material. It looks like I have to stay in full mode all the time with this player.
Also, I can't set the video type to progressive - I don't get any output.
I doubt many people have this player yet, since the first shipment only came in a couple of days ago, and it was here within 2 days from NBT.
The advanced features have their own remote button, but I haven't quite figured out how that all works yet, though it seems pretty straight forward. The info button gives both audio and video bit rates in bps, along with the type of source material, and time info.
So far it seems pretty good.
Any ideas on the progressive and 16x9 issues?

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
Jeff,

Do a search here on Malata & you will find a much info.

I have the 996.

It looks like I have to stay in full mode all the time with this player.
This would be correct.
That way everything is automatically done by the player.

Mine is connected to a Mits HD display with component cables & basically stays in progressive.

If I remember correctly you can not have both a component & s-video cable connected.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong here.

There is a button on the remote pro I think (I use a Pronto)
that switches in & out of prog-scan by holding it down for a few seconds.

I love the 996 it has been my main player for 6 months now.
The only problem is it tends to get hot & can lock up.
This has happened to me just a few times.
Keep it cool & basically no major problems for me.

Excellent picture in prog-scan correct flagged film material.
Fair on video material.

The remote sux (can you say el-cheapo), but like I said I use a Pronto.

I'm quite curious to know how this new model compares.

Todd

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The subtitle button will switch between progressive and interlaced if held down for 5 seconds on this one, but so far I can't get it to do progressive. The remote is pretty cheap, and you can't power the unit off from the remote.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Jeff,
Does this player do DVD-Audio?
I saw on a website it had a DVD Audio logo.
Also does yours have a VGA port on the back?
Kevin C. :)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
If it does DVD-A, it doesn't indicate it anywhere, and no, there is no VGA port.
Those wondering whether the heat issue that the first N996s had would be aggravated by the slimmer case design needn't worry - I ran this for hours with the unit not even getting warm.
There does not appear to be an "expert" menu - all functions are on the basic user menu, or the "features" menu including the zoom, pan, color calibration, and X/Y scaling.
There are only 4 video types: Movie, Still, Auto and Camera
There is no power button on the remote, and the unit does not shut itself off automatically as far as I can see. You have to pick you butt up off the couch and manually turn it on or off.
Since the player is in 16x9 mode at all times, it generates black bars on the side of 4:3 images, but I haven't been able to get these as black as the ones generated by my 5109. I am using the same TV inputs as the other player at this time, so I haven't recalibrated my set.
The unit indicates it is R1 on the back panel. It isn't. :)
I called NBT about the progressive issue, and their display model works, so we are awaiting contact with Malata on Monday to see if there is a trick to this or if my unit as to go back.

MarcW

Agent
I'm still waiting for my 520 but should have it sometime next week. I hate waiting :)
Is there a FAQ for the N996 floating around somewhere ? I want to try all the features of the 520 when it comes in but I'm not sure where to start.
-MarcW

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The 520 is far simpler than the 996 sounded. There are only 2 menus, both with access from the remote. The manual almost makes sense, but does cover pretty much all you need.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Has anyone checked out the subtitling problem that exists on The Phantom Menace when played on the 996? I wonder if this is fixed on the 520?
Jeff

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
There a a few things that need fixing on this model so far. The progressive problem I'm having is a known issue that will be upgraded shortly (I like the idea of downloadable firmware upgrades - beat losing the machine for a week to the service depot).

Another annoyance is that the features settings are reset every time you turn off the machine. My player is much too bright compared to my Toshiba (which shares the same inputs), so I have to readjust its settings every time I turn it on. It would have been nice if this were saved in PRAM.

Not having a power button on the remote is a pain - I can eject the disc remotely, but not turn the power on...When powering down the unit, it is not smart enough to close its door first.

The "info" display doesn't show the total running time remaining like my other players, only chapter time.

The player generated side bars (for 4:3 material) are too bright, and don't seem to be affected by the players video adjustments. Not as bad as the stock grey bars generated by the TV, but distracting after getting used to the 5109's black side bars.

However, the zoom function works quite well - it was great to zoom in on a nonanamorphic 1.66:1 disc and get it properly framed with side bars and minimal overscan. Far better than cropping to 1.78.

MarcW

Agent
Due to some screw-up with the Canadian Post and their software that generates shipping labels I'm still waiting for mine :frowning:
Hopefully the firmware update will be available by the time I'll get the player. It's pretty much useless to me if the progresive-scan doesn't work.
-MarcW

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I would mention that the service so far from NBT (that's JohnnyG above)has been very good. They emailed right away with news of the fixes being worked on. I hope this is fixed soon as well, as I have a number of Region 3 discs in transit which are in need of reviewing ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks