What's new

Making a buck.... (1 Viewer)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I have recently installed 2 HTs for friends and now some of their friends r asking if I could do the same for them. While I have time right now, I was wondering how much to charge these guys. The first 2 r real friends of mine, so I didn't actually charge them...maybe some golf stuff, DVDs, etc., but these other people I don't really know.
Also, how do I go about making a few bucks off of the components, the receiver, pj, etc? Is it possible to get a "contractor's" price on some sites or suppliers of these things? Or do I just tack on my price over their's?
This is going to be from time to time thing but I'd like to be compensated for my time and effort.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

You are going to be too small time to get any sort of direct pricing. Your best bet would be to look for internet bargains on components and then pass the markup on to your customer. You also could make money by selling cables/wire at prices higher than you paid, but less than Best Buy/Circuit City. You can then charge an hourly fee for install. I would think somewhere in the $30-50 dollar an hour range would be acceptable depending on what is ivolved (in wall wiring, mounting brackets, assembly, etc.).

J

Jason=F

Grip
I doubt you be able to buy enough to get a bulk discount, but you could buy equipment online for less than they see it in the store for. I think you are going to be making most of your money on the install, I would work out some pricing based on what you are installing and an hourly rate that seems reasonable... just remember, you can't charge what some B&M place is charging or they will just use them instead, unless you come highly recommended from past clients.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Another point to remember is that buying a piece of equipment off of you means there is technically no factory warranty. You would have to handle all warranty claims with the vendor from which you purchased which would be a major pain in the ass.

J

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Thanks for the replies guys. I was also thinking of the warranty thingy with the stuff in my name. Thing is, if I mark it up, what would the receipt say then when they inspect it, or be needing warranty work?
Good point on me being too small for a discount. The cable stuff is a great idea though! I could probably make a killing right there!:laugh:
I should think of the hourly rates...along with the rate my "assistant" would be. I don't do the in wall wiring anymore. I usually refer them to someone who's an all around handyman,i.e., carpenter, electrician, etc. He does all the dirty work,..well most of it. Makes my world so much better.
On another note, I do however enjoy doing this, setting new stuff up, seeing it all come together, and the bright smiles from the people who will be enjoying them for a long time. I just don't want it taking my time then not being compensated for it. I hope u guys get what I mean. Its not to make a living out of it. I just want to tell people I do that and show them some my new gadgets as a result.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks