What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Sorry, Wrong Number – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Stanwyck, Lancanster, Litvak.

One of the great noir productions finally makes it to Blu-ray courtesy of Paramount and Shout Factory.

A word of warning to those who may not have seen this film.

DO NOT WATCH THE EXTRAS BEFORE VIEWING!!

Probably one of the earliest of the sound films still owned by Paramount, this 1948 production is based upon a radio drama that made it to film, and still holds up beautifully after over seventy years.

Filmed in beautiful black & white by Sol Polito, it also offers a superb score by Franz Waxman.

The new Blu-ray appears to be derived from a fine grain that had a bit of wear. Nothing untoward with the exception of possibly 4-5 minutes of emulation scratches in the early part of reel three. My attitude is simply, it is what it is. The film has not been restored, but that's fine.

Nice rich black & white, nice blacks with a proper grain structure, and an overall pleasant image. Audio is fine.

While this isn't a Shout Select product, there are extras galore creating a quality package and a steal at twenty bucks.

It is rumored that director Litvak wanted Wendell Corey in the film based upon his performance in Rear Window.

Image – 3.5

Audio – 4.5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Works in projection - Yes

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Litvak obviously had access to a time machine.
Mr. Litvak was a true visionary. One look at Wendell Corey, and he knew.

I've read the radio play, but have never seen the film. I was going to pass on this, as the reviews state the quality isn't all that wonderful, but Mr. Harris has changed my mind. And even though I know how it ends, it's been a long time, so I will watch the film before the extras.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The film is the best it can look without some serious dollars invested for restoration.

The release is just fine.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Understood. But what was RAH’s point. Why not promote Steve McQueen. He would have been awesome
You have to ask RAH, but Corey was a contemporary of Lancaster and appears in the film. Both, were discovered and signed by Hal Wallis.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I think the radio play is absolutely brilliant - one of the most perfect scripts for a radio thriller ever, by the wonderful Lucille Fletcher (a one-time Mrs. Bernard Herrmann). I've never loved the film because it makes literal what is only aural on radio, but I may give it another shot because my love for Miss Stanwyck knows no bounds.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I think the radio play is absolutely brilliant - one of the most perfect scripts for a radio thriller ever, by the wonderful Lucille Fletcher (a one-time Mrs. Bernard Herrmann). I've never loved the film because it makes literal what is only aural on radio, but I may give it another shot because my love for Miss Stanwyck knows no bounds.
One of the featurettes about the history of the film and its background makes note of the Herrmann relationship, and gives background to the radio play. I perused the extras and recall two versions of the program being included, amongst other extras. There’s also an intro by Mr. Muller, and multiple audio commentaries.

Shout gives great value in this release.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
As Julie Andrews didn't get to be in the film version of "My Fair Lady", Agnes Moorehead, who was in several versions of the radio play, didn't get to be in the film version of "Sorry. Wrong Number". At least the radio play is still available to listen to.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Understood. But what was RAH’s point. Why not promote Steve McQueen. He would have been awesome
You're taking it much too seriously! It was a bit of humor. Corey is in Sorry Wrong Number, Steve McQueen is not. Also in 1948, Steve McQueen was 18 years old. A bit young to play a doctor, don't you think?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I own the IMPRINT Blu-Ray… kind of thinking both transfers are about the same?
I haven't seen either disc, but from what I've read the Shout Factory release is a newer (and better) master.
This discussion is going to make me compare the two releases as I have both of them in my collection. When I watched the Imprint Blu-ray when it first came out, I thought the video presentation was okay. I'm going to watch the Shout! Factory Blu-ray this weekend as it has a second audio commentary not on the Imprint BD. Though, I'm a big fan of this movie, I mainly bought the second Blu-ray release because I'm a completist more than anything else.

1680769892431.png
1680769915043.png

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Since it has the radio play, I'll get it. If memory serves, the original star of the radio play was Agnes Moorehead. The version I'd love to see was done live on the TV program Climax in 1954 - that adaptation was done by Fletcher herself and had music by Herrmann. The other great Fletcher radio play was The Hitchhiker and that was turned into one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes. I was obsessed with the radio versions and Samuel French had a play script that contained both of them, which I bought in early 1961 - I'd received a Webcor tape recorder the previous month, bought so I could learn my Bar Mitzvah stuff. I did my own versions of those two radio plays with a friend of mine. I wonder where that tape is today?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks