What's new

Make your own ottoman? (1 Viewer)

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I want to build an ottoman to store my htpc and xbox but not sure how to get started. I know I can build a big wood box and upholster it but not sure of the right way to do it. Any help is much appreciated.

DarrellC

Stunt Coordinator
I would start by answering a couple of questions. How are you going to access the inside of the ottoman? Do you want a full slide drawer or are you interested in hinging the top? Then think about if it will be on wheels or not.

Next I would determine the maximum outside dimensions of the piece. Youe choice of wood should also be considered.

Give us some more details and we will try to help.

Thanks for answering. I thought I wanted the top to hing open. I never thought of the a slide drawer so I would like to try that. No wheels are necessary as the cables coming into and out of the ottoman will be secured. Not sure as to how big or dimensions I guess it also depends on how much stuffing or foam is on it. Its going to be in front of a couch I've seen these at furniture stores but they want $300 to $400 too much if you ask me. as far a wood goes I figure it will be upholstered so just plywood or MDF. If you know of a good web site that explains different types of upholstery that would help immensely.

DarrellC

Stunt Coordinator
As far as appearence is concerned, a hinged lid would be the easiest way to get it to look the best. Although, the under side of the top may not have a finished look without some work.

MDF is a good choice of wood, but it chips and splits easily. It is also very heavy.

When covering the piece, you may want to consider adding some batting under the material to soften the ottoman.

Just my opinion!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks