How to Provide a 12-12.5 foot wide couch or similar?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisA, Sep 3, 2001.

1. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

Hi,
    I am a little frustrated on how to affordably seat 6 people across a single row in my HT room. This means a couch that would be 12-12.5 feet across would be perfect.
    I do not have room for 2 rows of stadium seating currently. I need to find something that will best seat 6 people across the front. I currently use a day bed with a feather bed and lots of pillows. However, the pillows fall through the back, and one way or another, you end up resting a leg or something on the bare metal frame. In other words, it is time to replace the IKEA day bed with something better. I don't have more than $1500 to $2,000 to spend (ok, maybe a little more if something really makes a difference). I spent all my money on the electronics, what can I say!
    One thing I do not like is something with a very high back. I feel that the surround info is really wiped out when the back of the couch/recliner, etc., is very high, because your head an ears are buried in the back of the recliner/couch. One thing I liked while looking at IKEA are the low back couches with soft rounded backs. One could easily put two couches side by side, however, this lives two arm rests side by side in the sweet spot. Fine if there are 4 or six people over, but when you have only two and want to get comfortable, each would get his own couch or have to sit on the left or right couch. With only two people, it would certainly be nice to spread out as I currently do on the day bed in the middle of the sweet spot. The only real solution is a modular IKEA couch that combines a left and a right sofa and joins to make an uninterrupted couch of 11 feet long, it even has a low back. However, it is fairly uncomfortable and would cost $1,000. I would have to dress it up with featherbeds, pillows, and at least two ottomans to make up for the lost room with all of the pillows.
    I'd appreciate any ideas, short of paying $3,000 + for a custom 12 foot couch. Certainly, if I had the money, I'd just get a 12 foot wide couch. I thought of pushing two armless type of couches/bedding(such as futons) together to make a 12-12.5 wide contiguous seat, but they all have very high backs.
    What does everyone use for their A/V seating? Any ideas for me? Does anybody else agree with not wanting to use a wide and very high back (blocking the surround info)?
    ------------------
    Pictures: The Worm Hole Theater featuring the Black Hole Subs and Death Star Platform

2. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I dont have any suggestions on a couch, but looking at your HT setup I have to say that you have the best equipment in the smallest room! Those subs are monsters, bet it sounds sweet.
    jp

3. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

Hi Jeff,
    Those are the Black Hole subs. Two are in each corner vertically stacked, yielding 1600 lbs of subwoofer. It was well worth the effort. The most articulate bass reproduction I have ever heard.
    The room is actually 17.5'L by 13'6'W. There are black curtains on the ceiling and all around the room. Someday, I hope to build a custom A/V room--definitely a major fantasy that I hope wil come true.
    Right now I'm just trying to come up with a comfortable solution.
    JINX! (referring to your post number).
    ------------------
    Pictures: The Worm Hole Theater featuring the Black Hole Subs and Death Star Platform
    ]
    [Edited last by ChrisA on September 03, 2001 at 01:49 PM]

4. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

What about 3 love seats situated like this _/ ? THat way if there are couples they can sit with each other.I have seen some nice love seats at Kittles express for around $500 or get an L shaped couch and put it like /...just an idea,how good it is I do not know.
    ------------------
    My dvd collection
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...?alias=cisaacs

5. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

You could get 3 left hand arm sides of a modular couch and 3 right hand arm sides of a modular couch.
    This would provide 1 love seat arrangement in the center for a couple and 4 other individual seats all with arms on both sides.
    |_|_|__|_|_|
    .L..L..LR..R..R
    Just a thought, I don't really know how well this would work.
    BruceD
    [Edited last by BruceD on September 03, 2001 at 03:27 PM]
    [Edited last by BruceD on September 03, 2001 at 03:28 PM]

6. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

7. Orvisg

Orvisg Stunt Coordinator

Chris you might give some thought to sectionals. You can pretty much have them the as you wish. Like 3,4, 5, pieces whatever you want. for instance since pieces hook together right arm, left arm, armless 1,2,3 seaters, wedges, you can have the pieces as chaises, recliners or as sleepers choices are endless. Check on Lanes, Bracaloungers, Douglas & Lazyboys. The 5 pcs & above are the most versatile.
    ------------------
    Geno