How to provide comforatable contiguous seating 12.5 feet wide?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisA, Sep 3, 2001.

1. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

Hi,
    I am a little frustrated on how to affordably seat 6 people across a single row in my HT room. This means a couch that would be 12-12.5 feet across would be perfect.
    I do not have room for 2 rows of stadium seating currently. I need to find something that will best seat 6 people across the front. I currently use a day bed with a feather bed and lots of pillows. However, the pillows fall through the back, and one way or another, you end up resting a leg or something on the bare metal frame. In other words, it is time to replace the IKEA day bed with something better. I don't have more than $1500 to $2,000 to spend (ok, maybe a little more if something really makes a difference). I spent all my money on the electronics, what can I say!
    One thing I do not like is something with a very high back. I feel that the surround info is really wiped out when the back of the couch/recliner, etc., is very high, because your head an ears are buried in the back of the recliner/couch. One thing I liked while looking at IKEA are the low back couches with soft rounded backs. One could easily put two couches side by side, however, this lives two arm rests side by side in the sweet spot. Fine if there are 4 or six people over, but when you have only two and want to get comfortable, each would get his own couch or have to sit on the left or right couch. With only two people, it would certainly be nice to spread out as I currently do on the day bed in the middle of the sweet spot. The only real solution is a modular IKEA couch that combines a left and a right sofa and joins to make an uninterrupted couch of 11 feet long, it even has a low back. However, it is fairly uncomfortable and would cost $1,000. I would have to dress it up with featherbeds, pillows, and at least two ottomans to make up for the lost room with all of the pillows.
    I'd appreciate any ideas, short of paying $3,000 + for a custom 12 foot couch. Certainly, if I had the money, I'd just get a 12 foot wide couch. I thought of pushing two armless type of couches/bedding(such as futons) together to make a 12-12.5 wide contiguous seat, but they all have very high backs.
    What does everyone use for their A/V seating? Any ideas for me? Does anybody else agree with not wanting to use a wide and very high back (blocking the surround info)?
    ------------------
    Pictures: The Worm Hole Theater featuring the Black Hole Subs and Death Star Platform

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Look into getting a sectional. With sectionals you can buy whatever sections you want. That means you can buy one of each end (left and right) and as many middle pieces you need to fill in between them. However, six people won't be able to fit comfortably in 12 feet of space. At least not by my definition of comfort. With only 12 feet, six people would be sitting shoulder to shoulder. Of course if your neighbors are good friends it wouldn't be too bad. Your seating will bring you even "closer." [​IMG] Sectionals are available in all kinds of styles.
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit