What's new

magnetic shielding and rptv's (1 Viewer)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'm looking at upgrading to new speakers but i realized they aren't magnetically shielded. right now this wouldn't be a problem but i intend to purchase a 50"+ hdtv within the next year. can anyone offer advice on the best way to reduce interaction between the speakers and the rptv. please note that due to room size / shape limitations the speakers WILL have to be close to the tv. possibly up to 1" or less. i believed the tubes in rptv's are centrally and rear located so speakers close to the sides of the set would still be 2'+ away from the tubes so the interaction would be slight even if the speakers were almost touching the tv. is there anything i can do besides moving the speakers to reduce the effect of the magnetic field? am i just wishfully thinking this or is it true? anybody with and input please help.

kevin t

Mike I

Supporting Actor
CRT's on a RPTV are pretty much protected in the middle of the tv...In my old house I had unshielded speakers with in a couple inches of the TV with no problem at all...This included the center speaker which sat directly on top of the tv....If You can give it an inch or 2 of space you will have no problem..

Kevin P

Screenwriter
RPTVs are better at dealing with stray magnetic fields from speakers than direct view sets, since RPTVs don't have shadow masks. If your speakers are too close to the CRTs it may pull them out of convergence. If it's slight you should be able to adjust it out in the multi-point convergence adjustment.

When you get the TV, put up a grid from Video Essentials or Avia, or the set's built in convergence grid. Put your speakers near the set and then farther away and see if the convergence changes. If it doesn't, or only changes slightly, you're all set. A speaker near the right of the TV may affect blue convergence; a speaker near the left may affect red.

KJP

Kevin T

Screenwriter
thanks guys...this is what i was thinking but never being an rptv owner i was unsure. i'll prolly have about 6"-8" between the speakers and the tv...the manufacturer recommended .5 meters which is a bit more than i can flex for my room. i'll definitely check at the dealer with one of their rptv's when i buy the speakers. thanks again.

kevin t

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks