How close can non-magnetically shielded speakers be placed by RPTV's.?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DanaA, Jul 15, 2003.

1. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I want to buy some ACI speakers, but, while the center channel is magnetically shielded, the front channels aren't. I can cancel my order. On the other hand, I think I'll love the speakers. Given my room setup, it will be hard to avoid placing at least one speaker further than a couple of inches away from the TV.

Any advise would be appreciated.

2. Craig

Craig Second Unit

RPTVs have the CRTs at the bottom and toward the center of the TV and generally aren't very sensitive to magnetic interference. If your speakers are floor standing with a large woofer and they're up against the TV then I guess it's possible you could have a problem. The main part of the RPTV is just a box filled with light and you usually don't have problems like you would with a regular TV.

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Thanks Craig,

I thought that was the case too. When I spoke with the salesman, he told me that ACI's have powerful magnets and, for this reason, they recommend 18", even with a rear projection TV. I think my old AR's aren't magnetically shielded. They're floor standing, but I might just drag them in to test it out. The ones I want to buy are book shelf speakers and would be on 28" stands. I guess I might try it out in that there is a 30 day return policy.
    Anyone else?