AV Receiver advice (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Weren't they all already announced back in Oct or so (at least for Denon/Marantz and also Anthem)? Seems like the new models are already available now (albeit maybe in limited quantities and w/ possible software issues as often happens w/ new prepros/AVRs these days, especially given this pandemic)...

_Man_
That's what I thought. The xx15 with Marantz and the x700 with Denon.

marter

Agent
Real Name
Michael
@JohnRice I thought I'd give an update on progress...I've placed the fronts and surrounds on stands, moved my chair away from the wall and swapped the sub and the rack positions. Gives me a better soundstage, not dramatic but definitely an improvement. The X3600H arrived today and went through the initial setup; more tweaking to do but it sounds good. I'm glad you pointed me towards ListenUp, very happy with their service and shipping. Ordered Wednesday and got it today with free UPS ground.

I'll probably move forward with the Elac Debut 2.0 6 series bookshelfs, probably all 5 instead of just the front 3. Might as well do it right.

Which brings me to my last question about the amplifier. Budget wise I'm looking at the BasX A-300. Will I be happy with a 2 channel or do I need to deal with the center channel as well? If I'm taking the LF and RF load off the X3600 can I assume it will have enough power for the center and surrounds? Will there be any noticable difference in the sound in front based on the use of two different amplifiers (the separate and the receiver)?

Thanks in advance.

SmCaudata

Agent
Real Name
TJ
The basx will do more power with lower THD. The Marantz is nice and at your distance should easily drive what you are thinking of. You get to keep the Basx if you ever swap the reciever and it gives you redundancy in the case of amp failure.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I see people actively avoiding the Denon 3700 in favor of the 3600 due to the 8k or 120Hz bug or whatever it is. Is there a reason to do this other than just getting a better deal on an older model? If you aren't gaming, is there any reason to avoid the 3700? Does the bug affect 4k blu ray watching?

Last edited:

marter

Agent
Real Name
Michael
I see people actively avoiding the Denon 3700 in favor of the 3600 due to the 8k or 120Hz bug or whatever it is. Is there a reason to do this other than just getting a better deal on an older model? If you aren't gaming, is there any reason to avoid the 3700? Does the bug affect 4k blu ray watching?
Others will hopefully answer here. I'm very unlikely to buy an 8K display or do gaming so I didn't care about that. There are a few differences in the models beyond the 8K support, but they weren't important to me (HDR10+ vs. HDR10 e.g.) so I went with the X3600H and saved $300. I'm very happy with it. Here's a thread discussion you might be interested in https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/denon-avr-x3600h-vs-avr-x3700h-or-avr-x4500h.119508/

TheFOMO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Quinn
Maybe this very positive assessments of Denon AVRs (yes, better than Marantz) can add some more context to your buying decision. I interviewed Amir of Audio Science Review yesterday, and specifically asked him about why he holds Denon in such high regard:

marter

Agent
Real Name
Michael
After having the X3600H for a couple weeks, I'm quite happy with the receiver. Not a reviewer so I'll leave that to others, but it meets (actually exceeds) my needs and expectations nicely. Glad I went up the the ladder from the S750H.

I just got my Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 front and center speakers late in the week and very happy with them as well, significant improvement over the NHTs. Not sure I'll need any external amplification but it's early.

The 3700 can disconnect all the amps for a cleaner preamp output.
Here's a quote from Amir's review of the X3600H:
"But there is one thing that is special about this AVR: if you set it to 11 channel mode which is more than the number of amplifier channels it has, it lets you disconnect the internal amplifier and route that to pre-out. This means that you don't have to deal with that amplifier clipping and reducing DAC performance when you use an external amplifier. This has been the weakness of most AVRs I have tested. We will see later if it works in measurements."

TheFOMO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Quinn
My rule of thumb is "if you don't know why you need to upgrade, then you probably don't need to upgrade." Add external amplification if you know what it improves - for example your speakers aren't getting loud enough and you've heard these same speakers at a friend's system using external amplification and it's significantly louder - but that could also be his room, room treatment, etc.

marter

Agent
Real Name
Michael
My rule of thumb is "if you don't know why you need to upgrade, then you probably don't need to upgrade." Add external amplification if you know what it improves - for example your speakers aren't getting loud enough and you've heard these same speakers at a friend's system using external amplification and it's significantly louder - but that could also be his room, room treatment, etc.
Agreed on all counts. I'm happy with the X3600H and the Elacs and not sure I need any more power (more for headroom, not loudness), but I need to get used to them. In the meantime, there's no doubt I can improve things by knowing how my room and placement of speakers is affecting my sound and hopefully find some areas to improve that way.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm glad you're happy with the new setup. Give those ELACs some time to break in and open up. You are probably fine with the receiver alone, depending on how loud you want to play it. You're correct that it's more about dynamics and headroom than loudness. Something like an A-300 will certainly do no harm, but it's probably far from necessary. You're running 5.1 aren't you? If you were doing 7 or 9 channels I might suggest looking into it more.

marter

Agent
Real Name
Michael
Yes, 5.1. I don't think my room dimensions make 7.1 feasible. As it is now, I have my chair away from the wall putting my MLP about 30" from the rear wall and 9' from the display. I think it's about as good as I can get given the dimensions. Would be interested in any comments about the layout (aside from turning everything 90 degrees ;-).

And thanks for your help on this path.

Current 5.1 layout.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seann Luopa