What's new

Madisound DIY Sub? (1 Viewer)

I'm thinking of making a sub instead of buying one, and I'm on a very tight budget. I'm thinking $180 max. I found on the Madisound website the Swan 305 for $58, and the Eminence Eclipse 12" for $61

the specs are here

I tried using WinISD, but I have no idea how. I was thinking of using a 250 watt amp since it would deliver about 180 watts to the Swan woofer which is only 8 ohms, and it can handle 200 watts. The Eclipse 12" is 6 ohms. I don't think I did it right, but here's a pic of my response curves for both woofers in a 5 cubic foot vented enclosure tuned to 23 hz with 125w of power.

picture

Can anyone offer any help? Thanks!!

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Wander over Part Express and look at the 12" Quatro subwoofer (p/n 295-555). They're better than those particular drivers from Madisound.

BTW photobucket doesn't allow direct links, so the images in your signature won't ever show.

Oh, thanks. I'm really trying to keep costs down, the Quattro is a little too much I think. Are there any other good, cheap options? I was considering the Swan 305 because some guy said that he thought it was a really good woofer for the price.

Eric Hargrove

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Derek,

I think what Thomas is saying is if you can stretch your budget ever so slightly, the increase in performance of the Quatro would be more than worth the extra $20 or so dollars. Another option would be to look at a used driver like a Shiva or Tempest or possible an Atlas if you're lucky. I built a friend a ported Atlas 15 for home theater that is mind blowing in output for the amount of money he spent. I almost forgot. There have been a few used Stryke woofers for sale recently. They are also worth consideration.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Stick the Eclipse in a good 3-4ft3 ported box and you will have a nice subwoofer that wont require a whole lot of power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks