Please double-check my sub idea...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ken Shiring, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Ken Shiring

Ken Shiring Agent

It has been a very long time since I posted to HTF.

I recently decided it is time for a subwoofer. I have been doing without one for more than 2 years now, and it's time for something new. I am an apartment dweller, so I am extremely bass-limited. Recently I have decided that I just don't care, and am going to build a sub. My current constraints are just cheap and simple.

I manage to spy an excellent deal at Madisound for a PEERLESS 831858 (which is now sold out). Thiele-Small params can be found in the middle of the page here. It is an 8" driver, but the price was really right (like $27.95 right [​IMG] ) so I jumped on it. My goal now is to mate it with a suitable enclosure.

I have built an entire set of the Audax HT speakers, so I am no stranger whatsoever to DIY. I have not, however, designed anything. It appears that subs are relatively simple, so I want to give this a go. I was hoping the skilled users at HTF could check over my params.

This site suggests that the Thiele-Small params for this driver lend itself to a ported design. WinISD tells me that a 2.2 ft3 box with a port would work well. The result would be a -3 db point at 23.5 Hz, which sounds great to me.

I am thinking of getting the PE 2.0 ft3 prefab sub box. WinISD shows vitually no response difference between the 2 ft3 PE box and the ideal 2.2 ft3. I would like to add a 2 7/8" dia. 11.77" long for the port.

Am I on the right track here? Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance for your help. [​IMG]

2. Andrew S-

Andrew S- Stunt Coordinator

Dont forget that when you add a port that the volume the port takes up needs to be subtracted from the total volume. You could do an external port but a totally external port would be kind of long on the outside.

3. Peter DeWitt

Peter DeWitt Extra

If I do the calculations correctly, that box seems way to big. I did some calculations and got a 15L box with a 1in port 6.5in long.

This is what is recommended here. I could be wrong, I'm not a super user of WinISD, but this box seems big with that size port.

I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong.