What's new

Made the plunge, now some thoughts, please.. (1 Viewer)

Jamie Penland

Auditioning
Well I made the plunge and finally bought, what I think is setup that will last me while.

Here is what I got.

Denon 2805
Polk RTi10's for front
Polk CSi3 Center
Polk FXi3 for rears
Velodyne DLS 3750 10' sub

Now I am kinda piecing all the speaker connects and such together with what I have. I am about to leave and go to Home Depot and get some of their "zip cord" the 12awg speaker wire, I hear it is about as good as monster and a ton cheaper.

Problem I am running into is I want to have decent cable everywhere, but can't actually figure out what all I need.

I got a
DVD player
Xbox
Satallite I need to hook up.

I am getting the HD-5.1 adapter for the xbox, and it has an optical in for video..

So I think
-for the xbox, i need 1 optical cable, and 1 standard audio LR cable.
-for the DVD, 1 optical, but here is a question, my DVD player does have component outs, but my TV does not have component in. I could do componment in to reciever, and then Svid to TV from there, but I dont think it would matter. Figure just Svid into reciever would be fine.

Second question, sub... what would be best way to hook it up. I know I use the pre-outs from the reciever, but i hear you can split it and run the 1 line into both channels on the sub for better response or something?

I didn't know where to post this, so if it needs to be moved, please do.

Thanks

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hi Jamie,

Congrats on your new system. Mighty impressive for a first-timer!

You might want to study the thread “How to hook up your new HT Receiver” at our Tweaking, Connections and Accessories Forum.
You will get no benefit from component video unless you can maintain the connection protocol all the way to the TV, so it makes no sense to go component to the receiver, then S-video between the receiver and the TV. Just go with S-video all the way. It will be cheaper, too.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
3db at the pre-amp input. It won't help the sub play louder at the top of it's envelope.

If you find that the auto-on feature does not kick in as needed, add the 2nd input. It will force you to turn down the sub amp's gain to compensate, but it will turn on at a lower level.

I hope that is not confusing....

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
definitely a *very* nice set. congrats! you done good. :) there's some trick to this and it doesn't work the way most people think. if chris wiggles sees this maybe he can chime in...i don't remember the caveat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks