What's new

Lucid Dreaming (1 Viewer)

Ike

Screenwriter
I too wish I could have more "plot" dreams. I've had one (my only reoccuring dream) that was really rather fantastic that has stuck with me. I think it maybe the only dream I've ever had that didn't have anyone in in I knew, including myself.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I started having some dreams where I had some influence on them in college. Basically it started when I would be napping in the day, which is something I never did much before college. I would never fall into a deep sleep when I did that, so as I was drifting off if I was thinking about something, it would sort of take on a life of its own, and sometimes I would be able to bring it back under control. This still happens to me on occassion if I have a lot on my mind when I go to bed. It can also happen in the morning when I'm fighting waking up.

Computer games will often influence this for me. As I'm drifting off and if I'm thinking about other people, something that happened at work for instance, the people I'm thinking of become characters in whichever game I've been playing. Yes that means that one semester in college people would become Tetris blocks. Man that's messes me up when it happens.

Also, on a similar vein things happening around me can influence my dreams. Its not really quite like on TV how they have characters wake up from a dream that was totally influenced by the TV show they had on or anything like that, it tends to be more subtle. There have been quite a few times where I would hear, and sometimes see something that after I woke up I would wonder if it was real or not and never really figure it out.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
My vivid dreams (as opposed to the normal 'anxiety' type dreams we all have) have amazing plots and characters.
I can speak now without equivocation that I have experienced "lucid dreaming." It was an utterly fascinating expance of time, even if don't know precisely how long that amount of time actually lasted. But I remember thinking during the experience--not quite four months ago--how easy it is to entertain oneself. I was "trying things" in the dreamstate deliberately, just to see what would "happen."

But this was truly interesting. (Colors, too, tend to be rather vivid in my dreamscape.)

The human brain has to be as fascinating, in its own way, as a supermassive black hole.

Well, sort of.

(I look forward each night to letting my mind run on autopilot, which is kind of what dreaming is.)

Ike

Screenwriter
Jack,

Were you napping, or was this normal sleep (deep sleep)? In your dream, were you in some place you recognized?

I seriously am interested in doing this. Dreams really fascinate me, but I don't really seem to remember mine unless they are unpleasant. Or maybe all I have are bad dreams. Either way, I guess I'm interested in the freedom aspect of it-the ability to do anything in your mind.

The one I had took place in my house. I remember looking around, and saying to myself, "This is a dream." I remember at that point becoming quite excited at this realization, and wanting to explore what I could do. I remember going into my kitchen, and climbing onto one of the chairs, and trying to fly off. That's all I really remember about the dream, but lately I've been wanting to experiment with it more.

It seems like the only way to induce it is to tell yourself you are dreaming-correct? I don't know exactly how to do this, but I'll give it a shot. I'm always a bit nervous to do this, given my predilection toward sometimes disturbing dreams, but it interests me too greatly.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
For me, when I have a lucid dream, the "stage" is always set. I simply "know" that I am dreaming and react accordingly. When I say stage I mean; when, where, etc. my dream is taking place.

I'm most prone to lucid dreaming if I'm having trouble sleeping, or have slept through the night and am sleeping in in the morning (having awakened and then drifting back to sleep). You need to drift into a light sleep, right on the threshold of dreaming.
This might explain why I have so many of them. I have insomnia and when I actually do "sleep" I really don't feel that rested when I wake up.

Jon

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"Lucid dreams are rare during "normal" sleep"
Kevin P
Incorrect. If you use the techniques I desribed you will see Lucid Dreaming during these "normal" sleep times. All you need is a trigger and BOOM you become conscious of your dreaming state.
"So far, no one has really told me how to do this"
Ike
Incorrect - I gave you several techniques to try. And as I stated I have only tried the first 2.
"Even chronic lucid dreamers only experience lucidity 1-2 times a month"
This is true to some extent but with practice this # can be raised. I've had up to 4-5 month at times but not as of late.
"From what I've read, it can't be induced."
James. Incorrect. Now I only speak from my experience but I was able to induce them more frequently before I even knew what Lucid Dreaming was. Then again I have roughly 12 books on sleeping, dreaming, and lucid dreaming. I was extremely fascinated with the subject a few years back.
One more thing: Ever have a dream and your clock radio goes off and you hear music - sometimes that music will become incorporated into the dream. This ca also be done with any other stimuli such as light. A red beam projected onto your eye lid will become a red sun in a dream or a red missle, etc. This becomes your trigger and thus you become lucid. Back when I started doind this I couldn't afford anything so I used the text technique and the hand technique and both worked to trigger the lucid dream.
Good Luck :)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Interesting...
I wish i could dream lucidly whenver i wanted... but if i did, i'd probably have to change my sheets quite frequently :laugh:
But seriously, i've had one or two instances where I was dreaming lucidly... great fun!

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I'm actually a frequent lucent dreamer. If I were to keep score on the number of times I was aware I was dreaming, I'd say I experience it at least once a week. I don't try to induce them in any way, they just simply happen.
They can get pretty vivid too, developing almost into mini features which I try to maintain (but not control) for as long as possible just so I can find out how the stories end. My subconcious has such an extremely vivid imagination that if I wanted to become a full-time writer, I'd get most of my stories from my lucid dreams.
Does that mean I'd eventually have to pay royalties to my subconcious? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks