What's new

low volume level on OTA HDTV DD5.1 broadcast (1 Viewer)

tonyKwok

Stunt Coordinator
hi everyone

I wonder if anyone here can give me any insight on my situation. I am using a TOSLINK cable from my TV out to my Denon 1905 receiver. When I'm watching OTA HDTV shows that are broadcasting in DD5.1, I have to crank the volume on my Denon way up in order to hear anything decent. I'm usually listening to these shows (ie. LOST, 24, etc) at -15db. I did a test and switched over to an analog station at the same volume level and the sound was much louder. When I'm watching DVDs (using digital coaxial), the sound is pretty loud at -20db. When i'm playing my XBOx (TOSLINK), my volume only needs to be at about -30db and it's already loud. I'm not concern about the volume level of DVDs and the XBOX, just from OTA HDTV broadcast.

Am I doing something wrong w/ my setup? Is anyone else experiencing this? any help would be appreciated.

thanks

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
It might have something to with dynamic range compression. Also, check to see that your TV is outputting a dolby digital signal, and not merely PCM.
What's the model of your television?

tonyKwok

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony KDF-50WE655 w/ a Denon AVR-1905. I'm pretty sure it's outputting DD5.1 to my receiver because I have the Denon set to Auto for audio source and whenever a show is in DD5.1, the LCD display on the receiver shows Dolby Digital.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Is there any variation between any of the ota HD stations when broadcasting in 5.1? I get several stations broadcasting in 5.1, both OTA and off my DirecTV dish and the volume level varies significantly among them.

I get ABC in HD from both my local affilliate here in Fresno and from KABC in LA via the dish. My local station's 5.1 is noticeably louder that the LA station's, but the LA station has more bass and better channel separation.

tonyKwok

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I noticed the HD broadcast of CSI on CBS (2.1) in Los Angeles was significantly louder than the other shows I was watching (LOST & 24). It guess it must be dependent of the shows?

tony

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's a YMMV thing. For me, only the local CBS affiliate's OTA HD feed has normal sounding audio levels, the other affiliates lower the programming audio, but the commercials are quite louder than the programming. It's cheesy.

tonyKwok

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick Sun

yes, I also noticed that the commercial are way louder than the actual show, so i'm constantly lowering the volume whenever a commercial comes on. I guess this is consider a type of "interactive TV" :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks