What's new

Low Power Question for Sony STR-DE895/995 owners.... (1 Viewer)

John Macri

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Just bought a DE995 and find the volume/power to be much less than my DE925 which I planned to replace it with. I have a small 12x12 area with Polk R30s/CSi20/DCM SW/Wharfedale WH2s and last night while watching the "Identity" DVD (DD5.1) had to use the #60 volume setting (73=MAX) to get decent sound. With the 925 I plenty of power and rarely got over 45% volume level on a DD5.1 (less for DTS 3.2) DVD.

I find I get no sound at all from the speakers until almost #40 volume. Video Essentials speaker calibration at 75 decibels (Radio Shack SL Meter) is at #67 volume.

All equalizer, etc. settings are at default. I'm using the Tape/MD mode with optical input as my DVD player has no coax. I'm not using the DE995 for video switching.

What # volume are others using? Any suggestions or do I have a bad unit?

Thanks for the help.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The DE line is well known for having average power at best. I had a rather old 815 that had a better amp section than the 875 I compared it to. So I went auditioning and found plenty of similarly priced receivers with better amp sections and ended up with Marantz. If you can return the 995, I would strongly suggest you do, and give a listen to Marantz, Harman Kardon, Denon and Onkyo in the same price range.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
You cannot really translate volume knob settings to reciever power. Having said that your numbers do seem high. When I was using a DE485 reciever I was usually at about 40 or 45 w/ JBL studio series speakers.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks