What's new

Sony STR-DA4ES impressions (1 Viewer)

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan, my 'DA4ES does the exact same thing. In fact, I asked the exact same question on the forum about a month ago when I got my receiver, and from the responses I got, I determined this was normal behavior. You'll notice that the hiss is much, much more pronounced with analog sources than with digital ones.

Brett Miles

Stunt Coordinator
Take a look in the manual. With all the DSP talk in this thread, I had to get it out to see what all the modes are supposed to do. There is a note in the DA5ES manual about increased noise with some DSP modes.

By the way, I did some more fiddling today, and it looks to me like some of these modes don't really work when PL is disabled (again, I'm talking about the 5es here). I don't remember which ones, but some sounded just like stereo and the display indicated stereo when DPL was off. This is one time where Sony's poor manual writing is really affecting me. I'm about ready to start a whole new thread about DSP, what we're getting, and what we should be getting.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I'm thinking of using the 4es as a pre/pro. Are any of you guys experiencing a hiss using this receiver as a pre/pro?

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I haven't noticed any hiss with regular Dd/DTS and tomorrow I will try the Cinema modes for hiss. I am using the 4ES as a prepro with my AMC amps and it gets very loud at -30. I did watch LOTR for about half an hour on Cinema EX B mode and did not hear hiss, maybe tomorrow I'll look for that hiss.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
I can barely hear it at -40 db but when I turn it up to -20 I can hear it through out my room
With speakers of that efficiency, I'll bet the sound level is really damn loud at -40 dB. It all comes down to getting an acceptable signal to noise ratio. Sure, you can hear hiss at -30 or -20 dB on the dial, but how loud will the signal level be at that point?!! Ridiculously loud. Acutally, the amp will probably be clipping around that point, if not much sooner.

(Note that every 10 dB increase on the dial increases the power output by a factor of 10 times... this is the definition of the "dB").

The noise will be much louder with analog sources that digital ones, due to the noise created by the analog section and A/D converters of the receiver, and the fact that the DSP will increase any noise present in the signal.

Here's a trick I have used to increase the signal to noise ratio on every receiver I've owned: buy a bunch of cheap RCA plugs, open them up, and short (solder) the signal pin to ground. Then plug them into all of the unused audio inputs (including multi-channel inputs). Audio inputs are high impedance (usually 50000 Ohms) so they kind of act like antennae. Shorting them to ground (0 ohms to ground) eliminates the possibility of them picking up any stray signals (noise), and also eliminates thermal noise generated in that input of the preamp (thermal noise increases with resistance). It may sound hoakey, but it really works. Try this: Play a source, like your CD player, then switch to an unconnected source like tape/dat or whatever, and crank up the volume. You'll notice the CD player sound bleeding through, especially higher frequencies. Turn it down, plug in your shorted RCA's, and turn it back up... no more bleed-through. Amazing.

Ryan DC

Agent
You're right it is kinda loud at -40 db, I think I had some tinnitus in my hearing after listening to it at this level! The reason I was asking about the hiss at -20 was because I know some dvds out there have low recording levels and would have to possibly turn it up that high. I just don't want to hear any hiss in the background on my movies when it comes time to playing it at -20.
Thank you for posting your RCA plug trick :).Where can I buy just the RCA plugs themselves? Also will this plug trick cause any harm to the pre-amp section or any other part of the receiver? Just want to make sure!
Thank you to the guys who have also posted on whether or not their receiver do this too and reassuring me that this is considered normal!

Jose T

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron:
Great right up and observation of this receiver. Mine just arrived this week and reading this tread has been helpful. Just a few questions: I have a Sony SACD (555es) player hooked up as well as DVD-A Panny RP91 model. The dual multi channel input is a great feature. How can I get the SACD to be control by the receiver remote ? Do I plug it in to the trigger outlet ? S-Link ? Or do I just get another remote. I like to have the feature of seeing disc title etc in on my remote. I find the receiver remote difficult to get use to and program. i realize I just got it and trying to hook everything this week. I was also confused about the assignbility of the multi channel inputs you mentioned. For example DVD-A is coming from DVD player so how can that be assigned to receiver in the customized menu ? I'll check out the other threads highlighted. Thanks. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark All

Second Unit
Thanks Aaron for starting this thread. I used a DA4ES for a month before returning it and settling on a Denon AVR-3803 instead, the main reasons being it sounds better to me with the Polk speakers I have (6 full range) and has a 7 channel stereo mode. I used both as pre-pros through Rotel amplifiers. The Sony was bright, verging on harsh sounding, and the eq couldn't compensate for it entirely. The Denon is smoother sounding to me with what I have, although some ears may perceive smoother to be duller. The surround effects were more detailed with the Denon than with the Sony. I could hear no unusual hisses or hums through either in any mode. The DA4ES appears to be constructed better physically than the Denon but the Denon appears to me to have more advanced electronics--similar DACs used in the 5803. I wouldn't know about the amplifier quality between the Denon or Sony because I didn't use them that way. The Sony is heavier, probably due mainly to the chassis, has gold plated jacks, higher quality feeling volume knob and panel controls, and what look like copper screws in the back which seems unusual. I couldn't see much of a difference between the DA4ES and DA7ES other than one costing twice what the other does. The Sony has an upgrade port and the Denon doesn't, although I'm not sure how useful that is since I already know I'll get upgradeitis within the next two years. The Sony remote was okay, easy to program for other manufacturer items and looks similar to the Pronto Neo I use to replace the other ten remotes I would other wise have out. A convenience selling point to me with the Sony was the dual multi channel inputs because I use DVD-A and SACD from separate sources. I had been using the simple Radio Shack video switching boxes to switch manually and went back to those when I decided to keep the Denon. I strongly recommend the DA4ES as if it's to be used as a cost-effective pre-pro, but as with any receiver or pre-pro I also recommend testing one with your equipment first if you can and comparing it with other products.

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 4ES and really like it. It has plenty of features for me and plays loud and clean to my ears. I've got a 7.1 speaker set-up.

My questions with regard to processing modes is this: The manual states that in order to hear Dolby Digital as it was intended by the Sound engineer you should turn on dynamic compression and set it to the standard setting (1.0 I think). Do any of you guys do this? The only reason I can see for a sound engineer compressing the dynamics would be to enusre the sound does not boost beyond the +10db LFE requirement. You'd think if he did the job right this wouldn't be necessary though.

Also, the DA4ES manual states that the cinema ex modes uses dolby prologic so I don't think it was an oversight in the software department that Sony chose not to enable users to apply the enhancments to other 2 channel encoding formats. If you don't like the sound of the rears when using cinema ex modes with pro-logic, you might try turning off the rear processing effect. You'll still get screen depth and virtual speakers but it may eliviate any sound issues it creates with pro-logic from the rear.

The manual also indicates that cinema ex modes are for mulit-channel formats. Where these modes really shine to me is with DTS and Dolby Digital sources. I think I like the Cinema B setting myself as it makes a pleasing difference to my ears. Although, DD and DTS sound great on their own.

AndyHangartner

Stunt Coordinator
terence,
nice post. I got the 4es when they first hit the streets and reviewed very favorably in regards to power, channel steering and dialogue. I also tried it as a prepro with an aragon amp and citation 7.1's, finding that the audible difference was very minimal at best. several htf'ers thought I was crazy. I dumped a denon 4802 in favor of the sony. my friend has the 4802 so I hear it once in a while. I much prefer the sony. I use psb stratus silver i speakers which are 4 ohm. the nay-sayers have stated the power supply of the 4es cannot handle the load or play loud etc..what crap. how about well over 100 db without sounding bad.
andy

Mark Davenport

Stunt Coordinator
I personally think Sony is high or something, the Cinema Studio Modes in previous ES recivers were a really really great hidden feature when you turned pro-logic off. Very natural and cutomizable all channel sound with any source.
The virtual speakers, rear enhancement, and screen depth settings really gave you some wonderfull sound from any source.

Sony is really missing the boat and being very short sighted not allowing pro-logic to be disabled. Why cripple valuable features in your new receivers while older versions had this? I'll never understand this way of thinking as of late for Sony and my next Reciver purchase will not be one at all I'll go for seperates like an Anthem, Sunfire or Lexicon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks