What's new

Low carb BBQ sauces? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Anyone tried any of the low-carb BBQ sauces that are starting to hit the market? I've seen some from Atkins and carb-smart and am wondering if anyone's had any success.

I know it might seem sacreligious to suggest something other than one's favorite sauce...but I thought it might be possible for one of these manufacturers to get something close.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Mike, the bottle with "ATKIN's" on the bottle is HORRID! Forgot the official name, Carb Solutions???

I've heard decent things about Walden Farm's, but a zero carb BBQ sauce, spooky.

What we do is, find a regular BBQ sauce, with the lowest content. You'll find that carbs are all over the map with these sauces.
We just measure the amount we use. So 2 tbsp of KC Masterpiece may only be an additional 12 carbs to your meal. Bull's Eye 10 additional for 2 tbsp etc. We just couldn't skimp on BBQ sauce, and all the low-carb ones didn't taste very good.

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
Not BBQ per se, but last night I grilled a burger with Atkins steak marinade. It's more like an A1 sauce, but it was one of the best burgers I have ever eaten...except it didn't have a bun:frowning:

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Montreal Steak seasoning. Zero carbs, way better than BBQ sauce. If you are doing real BBQ (i.e. 12hr+ cooking) then consider dry rubs.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, those sound like three very reasonable, well-thought-out answers.

Zen: That's kinda what I was thinking. Moderate use of the family favorite (BullsEye Honey Garlic -- 14 carbs per 2 tbsp.) I also experimented last year at my daughter's high school graduation (major grilling duties) with a seasoning put out by Paul Pruddhome called "Magic". That worked pretty well.

I figured the low-carb sauces wouldn't hack it.

Thanks guys!

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Check out Whole Foods or a similar type store. I've found some decent condiments there, including BBQ sauce, that were quite tasty they just didn't have added sugar. I don't remember the particular brand off-hand, but I'm sure you'll find several at one of these stores.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Mike, being a KC native, I know of a few that unintentionally have low carbs in them (3g/2tbsp). The first, Daniel's BBQ, is probably my favorite low carb sauce and is sort of a sleeper in KC. The second is Arthur Bryants which is a KC institution and landmark. IMO it is overrated, but it still beats the tar out of anything bottled in most grocery stores, carbs or not.

Remember, these are the original classic recipes and no altering has been done to make it low carb.. I am pretty sure if you order a bottle of each you will find one that you will like, or at least will be much better than grocery store stuff.

If you are looking for a low carb rub, I can link you to one also. I believe its out of Memphis.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Montreal Steak seasoning. Zero carbs, way better than BBQ sauce. If you are doing real BBQ (i.e. 12hr+ cooking) then consider dry rubs.

The problem with Montreal Steak seasoning is that it's way high in sodium. Which is worse for you, the sodium or the carbs?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Stubb's is pretty good and lower in sugar than many common brands. Original flavor has 7 carbs per serving.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
To be fair these questions become more important as we all age. And low carb tech has had a revolution in the meantime to boot.

And just to be clear -- I was teasing. I'm just amazed at 15+ yr old even being found (or should I say 15 yr dead threads), much less popping back up, but esp for a food thread on HTF.

At least it was a member finding it and not a newbie pulling up random archived/ancient threads usually for the purpose of scamming members or a 10yo Classified thread asking if something is still available.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I did a search on "bbq" to look for the main gas bbq thread to post my use of a shop vacuum to clean out the dry deposits, which also found this thread that interested me. I've noticed that store sauces are slowly dumping HFCS for sugar, which may be a step in the right direction.

Hey I've survived heart surgery so sodium levels do attract my attention.

EDIT Plus this thread was started off with posts from Mike and Zen, so it looked like a good one.

Last edited:

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I did a search on "bbq" to look for the main gas bbq thread to post my use of a shop vacuum to clean out the dry deposits, which also found this thread that interested me. I've noticed that store sauces are slowly dumping HFCS for sugar, which may be a step in the right direction.

Hey I've survived heart surgery so sodium levels do attract my attention.

EDIT Plus this thread was started off with posts from Mike and Zen, so it looked like a good one.

ThreadJack eminent: Is Zen still around, or has he passed along the same path as Rain?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks