What's new

Lovely and Amazing (1 Viewer)

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Anyone else seen this yet? Maybe it's not in wide release?

I don't like to write reviews, so I will be very brief.

It has some very funny (black humor) moments. I saw it at the Kendall Square cinema in Boston, which is right by MIT. The crowd there is quite the 'artsy/liberal' crowed and seemed to find some of the humor non-PC. A couple of really funny moments, only a few of us towards the back were howling, while I heard mumbles from the rest of the crowd. Quite and odd experience, actually!

It doesn't really have a plot, except to show you a glimpse into the life of it's characters. There's an extremely amusing/intresting (non-erotic) 'sex' scene that is worth the price of admission alone!

I would give it 3.5/4 stars. If you like black-ish humor and character driven movies, as I do, you should enjoy it quite a bit.

Edit:

Yea, I guess it's only in 175 theaters. I saw it awhile ago, when it was only in a dozen or so theaters, I guess? Damn. It deserves a wider release.

(BTW, If you get HDnet you should have seen the trailer over the last couple of months.)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Saw it a couple weeks ago (same venue); wasn't impressed. It was one of those movies where the only thing I really felt about the characters was annoyance.

Mike Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
I liked it quite a bit. It had smartly written dialogue and Catherine Keener gave the best female performance I've seen so far this year. I would have liked to have seen Brenda Blethyn's character have a little more substance though.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I liked it very much too. The subplot with the little girl was touching, especially the scene with Catherine Keener and her in the McDonalds. It was lovely. And amazing.

(And yes, funny)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
My fiancee and I watched this last night. Hmmm...this or XXX? Well, we both liked the movie very much.

As Bill mentioned, the movie doesn't follow a typical plot structure, but is more like a glimpse into the lives of this family of women. There were some very funny moments and some scenes that were quite poignant. Highly recommended for those who engoy character-driven stories.

One of my favorite films of the year so far. Plus it's soundtrack is Lovely & Amazing as well. If you liked this film check out Walking & Talking with Keener. It's a great movie about friendships & relationships.

Kathleen

New to HTF.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I thought it was terrific, one of the year's best so far.
Katherine Keener's character is so wonderfully and slyly written and acted that it takes a good while to really "get" her. Unlike in most films, we discover her character in small bits and pieces, rather than having her summarized, simply and tidily for us from the outset and then seeing her arc. None of these people are really what we seem when we first meet them, Keener's character especially.
The movie is refreshingly light on exposition. Most everything must be gleaned through realistic, natural conversation, behaviour, reactions to events, etc. The touching final scene in the film with the little girl carefully arranging the pillows is a perfect example. Not a word is spoken, but the pictures speak volumes.
I'm a little surprised this movie would be tsk tsk-ed by an audience. That's a little odd. I'm assuming that it's the strained relationship between Keener's character and the little girl that was giving them trouble. Oh well, some people believe that if art depicts something, it must condone it. Fuck 'em. May they forever be forced to sit through after school specials. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks