What's new

loud thump from sub...please help (1 Viewer)

Keiwana

Stunt Coordinator
I have a problem with my paradigm seismic 12 or my receiver. Last night, I attempted change my surround sound format from dolby digital to dts on pioneer elite 45tx receiver. When I did so, my sub made a very loud thump. Initally, I thought someone was kicking the wall. It was just that loud.

I turned off my dvd player, but when I changed the surround format, I continued to get the load thump from the sub.

I checked all of my connections.

Please help...:frowning:

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
I'll bet its your reciever. It is probably sending a wierd signal to the sub when you change formats. If it were me I'd get it checked out first. Sorry I can't offer anything more than a guess.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
What about unplugging and plugging the receiver back in? Maybe resetting? Sorry, that's all I can come up with. Probably not much help.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
sounds too me as if there is a bad ground or a ground loop somewhere in the set up. My sub thumps...but only when I turn off the reciever (ever since my house got zapped and sub repaired)..wich is the caps just doing a final quick discharge.

do you have any other system or friends system to try the sub with? if you do..that might isolate wich is causing wich.

good luck

Keiwana

Stunt Coordinator
Thomas,

I have had the sub for about 2 months. Nothing has changed in my sub since that time. The problem started this week.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Sounds like changing formats might be telling the sub amp to turn off then back on quickly?

Thomas - I've heard of ground loops causing this, but wouldn't you hear a buzz or hum if there is one?

Have you tried plugging the amp into a different receptacle?

I don't know what kind of connections you can run between your receiver and sub, but if you can switch from RCA to XLR cable, you might try that.

I get a loud thump if I turn off my BFD before my sub amp shuts down. It takes about 10 minutes for my sub amp to shut down (Paradigm PDR-10) so I'm always forgetting to shut off the BFD.

Keiwana - A little aside from the subject, how do you like the Siesmic 12?

Keiwana

Stunt Coordinator
Clinton,

The sub is great. It blends well with my athena bookshelves... very musical. It also has the power to shake my 28 by 17 ft room. I'm not even running it half of its potential.

I am from Fort Smith Ar. Where is Plummerville?

MikeNg

Second Unit
What if you go from DD to no surround setting (direct/stereo)? Any pop? When the popping occurss, does the power indicator on the sub amp (if there is one) remain on constantly?

Do you have another sub or a tape deck? Try plugging it in to the sub-out, and see if a) the second sub does the pop or b) a signal registers on the tape deck.
This will at least tell you whether it's the sub or a signal hitting the sub.

Really strange thing. I've never heard of this before.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Keiwana - Plumerville is about 2 hours south of Fort Smith...about 45 minutes NW of Little Rock.

I almost bought a Servo-15 last fall but it's a little too much sub for my HT room. My local Audio Express manager told me he would be getting a Seismic 10 and/or 12 for his Paradigm Reference showroom, but I haven't gone in a few months to see if he did.

Keiwana

Stunt Coordinator
Clinton,

Is you Audio express in Conway or Russellville? I have been to one in Russellville? They did not have any of the studio speakers on display?

I shop at Stereone of Fort Smith. I am able to get a descent discount.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I go to the one in Conway since it's about 10 minutes from my house. I've known the manager there for over 10 years and I get treated well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.