What's new

LOTR: FOTR and TTT Extended Editions to be shown in theaters in December! (1 Viewer)

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
While it's a really cool idea, I really can't justify the cost to myself. I will, however, be popping in my FOTR:EE and TTT:EE discs before heading out for Return of the King.
I think this is what I'll do as well... Last year we saw THe Two Towers Midnight premiere with FOTR first, and even that was a little too much for me -it's a damn long time to sit in the cinema.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Please let the Senator show these, please let the Senator show these, please let the Senator show these, please let the Senator....
Or the Uptown in DC - not as nice an auditorium as the Senator, but a considerably bigger screen. They'll definitely have ROTK, and maybe with luck, in the week leading up to Dec. 17 they'll boot out whatever (inevitably inferior) first-run film is playing and give fans a few days to catch the EEs. I figure the best way to do it would be to try to see them on successive days just prior to ROTK's release.

The opportunity to see the TTT:EE for the first time in a theater rather than on video is almost worth putting off buying the disc until afterwards (almost) Or maybe buying it and just browsing the supplements. But who am I kidding? I don't have that kind of willpower.

--Jefferson Morris

Mikah Woodward

Stunt Coordinator
I think I'd have a bit of a different problem. All throughout FotR and TTT, I'd probably be thinking "Is it time for RotK yet? Is it time for RotK yet", basically ruining my enjoyment of them. Yeah, I might be just a bit impatient to see RotK for the first time.

Hmm, I wonder how popular it'd be. I hope I won't have to wait in line several hours to get a good seat, but I guess I'll have to find out.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Hmm now that Jefferson mentions it, I think seeing FOTR and TTT on successive days leading up to ROTK might be a little more sane. And seeing the TTT:EE in its entirety for the first time at the Senator would be friggin' awesome.:emoji_thumbsup:

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!!

He's out of town and I e-mailed him about the marathon. This is his reply:

Subject: Re: Whoooo Whooooo!!! Marathon LOTR coming!

YES!

New Line continues to display more sensitivity to the wants and needs of of the fans than any other studio. This is exactly what we've wanted.

They're not just dumping them out there to make a bit more money - they are helping people get the deepest artistic impact of a great work of art (and make a bit more money).

I don't care if the marathon tickets cost $100 each, we're there. I just realized something - this is a great way to deal with the lines! Everybody who'd be clogging up the lobby waiting in line is, instead, going to be safely, comfortably and profitably, sitting in a theater seat instead! Whoever came up with this plan is a genius!
He's so wonderful! I love that he realizes what a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity this is, and has no wimpy qualms about being in the theater that long. I do love him so.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
...and they've come up with a good way to off-set the finances of Dumb and Dumberer and A Man Apart and How to Deal and The Real Cancun...

:D

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, that's a lot of time at the theater.

Yet it is tempting too. I just don't think I know another person who would do this with me. Maybe Stoney, but I think in the ROTK thread he was sort of down on it as well.

I have spent an entire day at the theater before, so it's not out of the question. I think I might prefer the 3 days in a row thing, although at the end of TTT EE I'm certain I would want ROTK to start right away so....

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Well, you KNOW that they will be showing FOTR, TTT, and ROTK EE in theaters sometime in the future. It would be stupid for New Line not to milk this franchise for every single penny that they can get out of it.

However, I definitely won't be going to one of these gigantic 9 hour plus screenings, because I think it would not be worth doing, since I found FOTR to be a fairly good but extremely overrated film (possibly the most overrated ever). I haven't seen TTT and don't plan on buying it or the EE in the near future. I'll have to rent it first. :b

Sorry for somewhat threadcrapping, but I just thought I'd announce what I think of the EE theatrical release. :)

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
...and they've come up with a good way to off-set the finances of Dumb and Dumberer and A Man Apart and How to Deal and The Real Cancun...
They said they don't really expect to make money on it, and that it's supposed to be more of a promotional tool for RotK.

Robin Warren

Second Unit
Here in Kitchener the rumour is that it will be played at the Silver City. The best part was that it will just be the cost of one showing. This is rumour from an employee and not verified but she said it was probable.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
An all day marathon is more than I can handle.

OTOH seeing each LOTR and TTT EE on separate viewings a few days before ROTK would definitely be doable.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I am so there! I was surprised when they didn't rerelease FOTR last November, so I'm glad New Line is allowing the FULL theatrical experience of LOTR. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
Personally I would be shocked if Famous Players sells this as a 1 ticket to see all 3 movies deal. If they are smart they will have a 3 movie deal, with some snacks included during intermissions. Say $40 and you see all 3 plus 2 drinks and some popcorn, maybe a mini pizza from pizza hut. I just hope we get it here in Winnipeg. They are notorious for skipping us when stuff like this happens. Hell we didn't get Matrix Reloaded at Imax until Aug 15th, more than 2 mot=nths after the rest of Canada. Fingers crossed, as I would sure hat to drive all the way to Calgary for the all day event.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Seth, I assure you, should the LOTR marathon play Indy, there will be several Indy TORNados who will be up for it - a couple of whom lurk here at HTF. The question is...would you be game enough to go with a buncha Tolkien "oldsters" (aged 35-50) to an all day screening?

I will *so* be there if this happens in Naptown. I went to both the Star Wars and the Back To The Future marathons, which were great fun. (Both were at General Cinema theaters...perhaps AMC is a candidate the LOTR marathon...please God, not Regal.)

OTOH, LOTR was designed as one, long cinematic experience, that due to commercial and logistic contraints, could only be released in 3 separate films a year apart. I expect seeing EE FOTR and TTT, then concluding with ROTK will pack an extra wallop!

I've seen as many as 3 or 4 movies in one day at film festivals, not to mention the marathons. (The key is careful liquid rationing.) At the Art Institute, the film club used to start showing movies at 6 o'clock at night and we often finished up well after midnight - and this was 16mm. This is not something I would want to do often - but these films are extraordinary.

BTW, the SW & BTTF marathons had special pricing.

There is no substitute for seeing these epic films on the big screen with 200 other LOTR fans in the dark.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I could sit there for 7 hours and then see another 3+ hour a movie. My ass and back would be dying. Maybe if the theater came with lay Z boys....

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Claire: OTOH, LOTR was designed as one, long cinematic experience, that due to commercial and logistic contraints, could only be released in 3 separate films a year apart. I expect seeing EE FOTR and TTT, then concluding with ROTK will pack an extra wallop!
Yes, yes yes! I'm really surprised at all the big fans who are balking about this. I'll bet a lot of them will think, in years to come "I wish I'd done it." Sure you can see one, two or all three of them in the theater at other times. Sure there will probably be yearly marathons, at least in the major markets. But once, and only once, will there be a ROTK OPENING DAY marathon, to be shared with people who love the series enough to be there. Fans in decades to come will only be able to yearn and wonder what it was like.

There's going to be plenty of time between showings to get up and walk around. Jog around the block a few times if that's your thing. You're NOT going to be sitting there 9+ hours straight without a break.

Like Claire, I've seen up to 6 movies in one day before. Film festivals are great practice for something like this.

Only death or dismemberment would keep me away.

Btw, if, by some fluke of nature, Indy doesn't do this, and Claire (Seth, Matt), if you want to come to Chicago for the marathon and need a place to crash, we have a couch and you're welcome to it, as long as you're not allergic to cats.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'm a HUGE fan, Vickie, and I am balking a bit. I very much want an all day screening of LOTR. But not my FIRST screening. Not with a 9 month pregnant wife at home. Not on their schedule. I think it's wonderful they are doing that. If I had the freedom, I'd probably be there.

Take care,
Chuck

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Wow, Vickie! I think you may have inspired me to take in the Moria Marathon after all! Well done!

It'll be like the Woodstock of the dragon dice crowd.

Ugh. I think I just talked myself out of it again... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks