What's new

Lost In Space: The Complete Adventures (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's so frustrating when you see attention to the smallest detail painstakingly attended to during mastering and then during production of the special features. When the cast and some of the crew go the extra mile to make it special. When you have this terrific product which then is treated like bulk mail by the packaging department. It's not rocket science. So disappointing.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
MattHR said:
My copy just arrived and I didn't even need to open it to know that the packaging would be ruined. As others have mentioned, the shipping carton isn't even a box, but rather a perfectly-fitted piece of cardboard wrapped around the set offering absolutely no protection whatsoever. Of the eight corners on the set's packaging, there isn't a single one that wasn't crushed in. In fact, even if just one corner was crushed as-is, I'd be returning it for a replacement.

Also as mentioned before, the set's outer box/case/sleeve isn't really any of those. It's barely thicker than paper, so any slight mishandling would cause damage. There is no open end to the outer "case" for easy content removal. Instead, the top and bottom have tuck-in flaps, which would no doubt become ragged after just a few open-and-closes.

Next to the packaging for I Dream of Jeannie, this is the worst packaging I've seen for a deluxe complete-series release. I'd like to watch it, but that would require opening the set, and it can't be returned as "opened". Huge disappointment and major inconvenience!

EDIT: Why didn't Fox simply use the style box that Shout Factory uses for their releases? Those boxes are super-sturdy with extra-thick walls.
I forgot to mention my set came quite dinged up with a large crease on the side, and bottom that is crushed in the middle. However the season slipcase inside were fine. Anyway with the outer box being nothing more than poster board paper I think your chances of getting one in great shape will be slim.
It really is a shame because everything on the discs is great.
The Outer box is practically disposable, and the fold out housing of the season sets are a nightmare for sliding discs in and out. Alternative cases will be bought soon for me because I'm not going to scratch the discs.
So while pretty to look at the packaging to me is useless because I'm not going to use it, and I'm not sure what to do with it after I get new homes for the discs.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I have some cases from the most recent bad Fugitive set, and one of the cases in it holds a ton of discs. Thinking of putting both my BATMAN BDs and LOST IN SPACE BDs in this one case, since both original packages are a nightmare.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Now that the set has been released, and there will be (already is) widespread complaints and significant cost to Fox for having to handle all the returns and replacements, it would seem fair that those responsible for the lame packaging decision should be held accountable. It's decisions like these that make consumers, and shareholders, go "WTF!?!"

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Mine arrived from Fox Connect relatively unscathed. It's now being protected by the robots.

DSC04312.JPG

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Mine arrived today from Fox Connect in pretty much top condition, save for a slight crease on the right hand side panel. While it's not convenient, I actually like the packaging from an artistic and "fun" point of view. Luckily, the Fox Connect packaging is much sturdier than what I've read here about the Amazon packaging. It came in a very sturdy cardboard box, although it fit the product box exactly and contained no padding.

Can't wait to spin the first disc tonight!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes, the set I received from Fox was in a sturdy box and arrived in perfect shape, except for the B-9 blueprint, which was wrinkled on one edge. All in all, I count myself lucky.

The box advertises the special features as extremely dangerous. One could argue it is the packaging that is extremely dangerous (to the long-term safety of the discs).

macfan601

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
MattHR said:
Now that the set has been released, and there will be (already is) widespread complaints and significant cost to Fox for having to handle all the returns and replacements, it would seem fair that those responsible for the lame packaging decision should be held accountable. It's decisions like these that make consumers, and shareholders, go "WTF!?!"
Matt, if you check social media, people are blaming UPS and not FOX over damaged packaging. With the possible exception of a few die hard OCD collectors people are glad to get this in what ever shape. They will do the best they can with what they have. People who were paying attention got this for $69 and buying $10 worth of better cases will just be written off as a good investment. My bet is that there will be a lot of mouth running but very few actually returned. I received my Batman in far worse condition than this but I am not parting with it because it is a very low number.

MattHR

Screenwriter
macfan601 said:
Matt, if you check social media, people are blaming UPS and not FOX over damaged packaging. With the possible exception of a few die hard OCD collectors people are glad to get this in what ever shape. They will do the best they can with what they have. People who were paying attention got this for $69 and buying $10 worth of better cases will just be written off as a good investment. My bet is that there will be a lot of mouth running but very few actually returned. I received my Batman in far worse condition than this but I am not parting with it because it is a very low number.

No way the fault of UPS or whatever other carrier. The packing was insufficient to protect against even the mildest of handling. UPS (and every other carrier) wouldn't allow an item like this to be shipped insured, as it doesn't meet the requirements for "sufficient padding material surrounding the contents to protect from normal shipping conditions". When I called Fox Connect to get a return authorization, the woman I spoke to said she has already fielded at least 100 phone calls today about the same problem.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Got mine in fairly decent shape - corners are all good, but there's a bit of a crease on one spine.

The mailer is completely inadequate - maybe mine wasn't completely sealed but the corners were partially open to the elements - I could see the corners of the box inside before even starting to open the mailer. Unbelievable. I count myself lucky that this arrived on one of the dry days that break up Houston's frequent late summer multi-day thunderstorm periods.

The set packaging is also a joke. How could Fox get this so wrong - especially when the much-mailigned DVD sets actually got it right! Slim Amarays in a cardboard slipcase. That's all we want. This kind of thing just shouldn't happen 18 years into the DVD/BD era.

I am somewhat tempted to return the thing in protest, but I probably won't. Still, Fox needs to fix the packaging on this set, and then mail everyone that bought the set from them the new packaging free of charge. Doubt it will happen, but that's what it will take to make THIS customer happy.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Craig S said:
The set packaging is also a joke. How could Fox get this so wrong - especially when the much-mailigned DVD sets actually got it right! Slim Amarays in a cardboard slipcase. That's all we want. This kind of thing just shouldn't happen 18 years into the DVD/BD era. I am somewhat tempted to return the thing in protest, but I probably won't. Still, Fox needs to fix the packaging on this set, and then mail everyone that bought the set from them the new packaging free of charge. Doubt it will happen, but that's what it will take to make THIS customer happy.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Rather than have unhappy customers return the whole set (and risk receiving replacements in the same or worse condition), why not simply mail out replacement packaging? It'd be more cost effective. Fox did this with The Simpsons: Season 6 when fans complained about the flimsy/inconsistent/unpopular plastic "character head" packaging.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Watching "The Derelict" and I am glad to see the title credits put back in the right place, after the teaser. And it also looks to me like they were making use of the "Fantastic Voyage" sets since the interior of the alien spacecraft looks a lot like the human brain set from that film!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The actual number of people who complain about the packaging will probably, sadly, be relatively small. Most people who buy it won't notice or won't care--until their discs get damaged by the packaging and will no longer play, that is.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well I admit because I found a decent enough alternative on the spot with the 8-8-2 format (which works for fitting into the box unlike 6-6-6), I'm not going to clamor for them to replace it though if they did, I'd be glad. But this is something I'm already used to seeing with previous idiot packaging like the Get Smart phone booth box etc.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Carabimero said:
The actual number of people who complain about the packaging will probably, sadly, be relatively small. Most people who buy it won't notice or won't care--until their discs get damaged by the packaging and will no longer play, that is.

Either that or it really doesn't matter.

Open up, Mr Ed... Let's have a look at those choppers on my birthday present.

I do have to say that the poster looks like ass. A friend of mine gave the the reproduction bluprints they did back around 2000 and it looks like real bluprints, not like a bad elementary school ditto.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I truly feel "the pain" of those of you getting crunched packages, and feel very fortunate to have gotten one of the good ones.

The irony here is that LOST IN SPACE is a somewhat marginal series for me. Had I not stumbled into the incredible discount offer back in April, I might not even have considered buying it on Blu-ray.

I was a prime target for the series originally, being 14 when it premiered, and eager about anything space related. And I lapped it all up back then.

Today, I still enjoy some episodes, but can easily forget about the really silly ones. My true loyalties in the Irwin Allen stable remain with THE TIME TUNNEL.

I bought the original LOST IN SPACE DVD sets to help those sell well enough to get TIME TUNNEL sets, and that worked, I suppose.

Now hopefully, THE TIME TUNNEL can also find its way to Blu-ray.

Meanwhile, I'll have fun exploring this set. The extras look like they'll be quite interesting.

Harry

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Jack P said:
Watching "The Derelict" and I am glad to see the title credits put back in the right place, after the teaser. And it also looks to me like they were making use of the "Fantastic Voyage" sets since the interior of the alien spacecraft looks a lot like the human brain set from that film!

Yes, Fantastic Voyage was being filmed on the Fox lot during the same time period as when Lost In Space first went into production, mid-1965. As you said, the Brain set was used as the interior of The Derelict, and was was made less recognizable by being under-lit.

Irwin Allen also used the Lung set from Fantastic Voyage for an episode of Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea in which the Lung set is supposed to represent the interior of a whale that has swallowed Admiral Nelson's bathysphere (Jonah And The Whale).

My question is whether Irwin obtained permission to use these sets, or did he sneak his film crew onto those soundstages on a weekend?

Does the Lost In Space blu-ray have an audio commentary on The Derelict that tells the story of how Irwin managed to film on the Brain set?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks