What's new

Lost in Space (Movie) (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Watched the movie back when it came out and thought it sucked.
Picked up the LD (AC3) for a couple of bucks and watched it tonight.
My wife thought it was much better than the 1st time we watched it and I agree.
Was there any different versions of the movie or did it just age well?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I think this is one of those "remakes" of a concept you're used to, where the new version is different enough that you hate it initially.
It's not really all that bad, just different than what you expect.
As you get used to it, you think to yourself, "Hey...it's not that bad".
However, I'm just speculating. I got my LiS DVD free with my player 3 years ago, and haven't re-watched it since. :D

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Heck, it was LiS that convinced me to go 5.1. The store had it going using a rptv, a yammie and Acoustic Research speakers. Blew my mind, great sounding movie, maybe a Superbit is in order for this one. Grant, how was the 5.1 sound from the laserdisc.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
To me, LiS had some good FX and sound, and after seeing it at a local high end A/V store (where I go once in awhile for drooling purposes) I picked it up at a pawn shop for $5 and stick it on to show friends, especially the scene where the "future" ship blows up.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Not being very familiar with the original series, I found the movie somewhat entertaining the first time I saw it. I was prepared for the worst after hearing many negative reviews but I was pleasanly surprised. I still pop the disc in frequently to wow my friends with the picture and sound quality.

I can't argue with the price either, I got Lost In Space along with 4 other DVDs for free with the purchase of my Panasonic DVD-A110 back in 1998.

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't mind if they put back in the deleted scenes. They REALLY helped flesh out the characters and situations.

Other than that, and other than the insepid "The planet's gravity field is collapsing!" line, I really liked the movie. Good times.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Agree. The whole movie is kinda' let down when Bil Mumy doesn't show up as the older Will Robinson. You can tell they had every intention of doing this, but couldn't get him for whatever reason.
Reminds me of the film version of Arsenic and Old Lace, when Raymond Massey says he killed because the guy told him he, "...looked like Boris karloff." When Karloff said this on the stage, it brought the house down. When Massey says it in the film, it falls flat.
I thought the LIS movie was okay. Not a great
story, but Gary Oldman was good, as usual; and the new version of the "robot" was terrific! However, I do not have this in my collection.

Brenton

Screenwriter
I hear that Mumy wanted to play the role, but New Line told him no because they thought it would be too jarring (as if anyone besides the original fans even know who he IS).

On the other hand, Jonathan Harris was slated to play the terrorist leader who instructs Dr. Smith via hologram, but Harris told New Line that either he would play Smith, or he wouldn't be in the film.

The movie would have been so much cooler if both of those guys had been in the movie.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's more like they refused to accomodate Mumy's schedual with B5, and he also had some other issues

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
I recently saw this DVD a couple weeks ago for the first time since it came out, and the audio on the disc is still pretty good even in the light of so many great-sounding discs that came out after it.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Heh, my one year college had a teacher specializing in 3D Studio Max who worked on that movie. Never did check it out. Is it worth renting?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Yeah. I liked it too. Not the greatest movie, but not as bad as people will say it is.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Jerome
The LDs 5.1 sound is very good; at times I thought the Bass Shakers were going to vibrate me off the couch.
They had Mom (from the TV series)put in a cameo as Will Robinson's schoolteacher.
I have noticed the Japanese Box sets of the Series go for huge prices on ebay. I guess the idiots think there is no market for a US DVD release.

CRUSH KILL DESTROY!!!

Brenton

Screenwriter
They had Mom (from the TV series)put in a cameo as Will Robinson's schoolteacher.
Also, Mark Goddard (Major West from the series) played Major West's commanding officer. Marta Kristen and Angela Cartwright (the show's Judy and Penny, respectively) played news reporters interviewing John Robinson at a press conference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks