What's new

Lost Color from DVD player! (1 Viewer)

Mark Lehmkuhl

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a Sony 7700, put a movie on tonight, only comes through in black & white!

TV is in color, so its not tv.

S-Video cable from dvd to tv - don't have another to swap out - do S-video cables go bad???

Unplugged both ends of S-video (DVD player end and tv end), plugged in tight, no change

Any suggestions? Has my player gone bad?

Thanks in advance

Mark Lehmkuhl

Stunt Coordinator
Its not the movie (Santa Claus). I've tried 3 movies I know to be color and none work.

A repairman did come yesterday to fix the set. Before he came I had vcr on video in 1, and dvd in video in 2. He had them switched. I put them back to original (vcr video input 1, dvd video input 2) - still same problem. Been running the dvd player for 2 years without a problem.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Check the S-video cable to make sure none of the pins are bent or broken. A bad S-video connection can lead to a B&W picture.

Do you get color if you run a composite connection from the DVD to the TV? If it's still B&W, something's wrong with the DVD player. But it's most likely the S-video cable.

KJP

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Sounds like a bad S-cable. Connect your DVD player up by component if your TV allows and composite to see it you get color.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Mark, you won't need special cable to try this. You can use most any cable with RCA ends to test this. However, 75ohm shielded cables are ideally best suited for a permanent connection.

Mark Lehmkuhl

Stunt Coordinator
I have color through composite cables, so I guess that measn the DVD is OK.

But the S-video cable ends look OK (no broken or bent pins). I hate to buy another S-video cable since I need about 12 feet and they're a bit $$.

Is there some kind of S-video chip on the tv that could be bad? I did just have the tv (Hitachi Ultravision 50" RPTV) repaired for a different problem (tv did not turn on at all).

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
You need to troubleshoot the situation before you take any action. The first thing I'd do is take your DVD player and S-video cable to a friend's house and connect it to his TV through the s-video connection.

If everything looks OK, that means the problem is in your TV. If, however, you still get a black and white picture, the problem is either your DVD player or the cable.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
If you have the player set for Component Outputs but are using either the regular or S-Video outputs instead, the picture through those will be black and white as well (watched "Pleasantville" that way, rather interesting!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks