1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lost Color from DVD player!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Lehmkuhl, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Mark Lehmkuhl

Mark Lehmkuhl Stunt Coordinator

I've got a Sony 7700, put a movie on tonight, only comes through in black & white!

TV is in color, so its not tv.

S-Video cable from dvd to tv - don't have another to swap out - do S-video cables go bad???

Unplugged both ends of S-video (DVD player end and tv end), plugged in tight, no change

Any suggestions? Has my player gone bad?

Thanks in advance

2. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

What movie is it?

3. Mark Lehmkuhl

Its not the movie (Santa Claus). I've tried 3 movies I know to be color and none work.

A repairman did come yesterday to fix the set. Before he came I had vcr on video in 1, and dvd in video in 2. He had them switched. I put them back to original (vcr video input 1, dvd video input 2) - still same problem. Been running the dvd player for 2 years without a problem.

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Check the S-video cable to make sure none of the pins are bent or broken. A bad S-video connection can lead to a B&W picture.

Do you get color if you run a composite connection from the DVD to the TV? If it's still B&W, something's wrong with the DVD player. But it's most likely the S-video cable.

KJP

5. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Sounds like a bad S-cable. Connect your DVD player up by component if your TV allows and composite to see it you get color.

6. Mark Lehmkuhl

Thanks. I'll have to get hold of some composite calbes and give it a try.

7. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Mark, you won't need special cable to try this. You can use most any cable with RCA ends to test this. However, 75ohm shielded cables are ideally best suited for a permanent connection.

8. Mark Lehmkuhl

I have color through composite cables, so I guess that measn the DVD is OK.

But the S-video cable ends look OK (no broken or bent pins). I hate to buy another S-video cable since I need about 12 feet and they're a bit $$.

Is there some kind of S-video chip on the tv that could be bad? I did just have the tv (Hitachi Ultravision 50" RPTV) repaired for a different problem (tv did not turn on at all).

9. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

You need to troubleshoot the situation before you take any action. The first thing I'd do is take your DVD player and S-video cable to a friend's house and connect it to his TV through the s-video connection.

If everything looks OK, that means the problem is in your TV. If, however, you still get a black and white picture, the problem is either your DVD player or the cable.

10. Mark Lehmkuhl

Thanks everyone, you are were a great help!

It was the S-video cable. This forum is a great resource!

11. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

If you have the player set for Component Outputs but are using either the regular or S-Video outputs instead, the picture through those will be black and white as well (watched "Pleasantville" that way, rather interesting!)