What's new

"Lord of the Rings: Fellowship" - will it go moratorium because of Jackson? (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Since Peter Jackson is suing New Line because of contract issues over royalties for aftermarket releases (DVD, VHS, etc...), does anyone think this movie will be pulled and go moratorium until it is settled?

Should I grab a director's cut of it now?

Eric

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

I assume you are refering to the extended versions. They are not "director's cuts" --- they are merely extended editions ot variations -- as Jackson has put it.

What I don't understand is why you don't own these already! :)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I wouldn't say "never" TravisR. I have seen many movies over the years pulled for various law suites or other legal hold-ups such as copyrights and such. Since this suite relates to "sales", wouldn't the chances of it being pulled until a settlement is reached be more likely?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
No, not more likely at all. They'll continue to rack up the sales, and then divvy up the profits down-the-road via settlement or court order. All the parties involved want for there to be a bigger pie, it's just that Jackson is saying he's got a larger piece of that pie coming to him. The last thing either party would want to do is voluntarily reduce the size of that pie by removing the item from the market.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I do own the last two extended cuts but the first movie was such a turn off for me. I have the regular version of it but was a bore being drawn out and the lingo more than my attention span could take. I am not a LOTR fan but like many, went along for the ride and since I prefer director or extended cuts along with extras... decided on the extended versions for the last two. And when I start a "set" of something I like to finish them!

The Fellowship is the only extended I need to replace the standard edition. But since Jackson was raising such a stink and has clout with the movie, was wondering about it possibly going into moratorium? He made his money and then some so I am sure he's not worried about that one movie being pulled when the other two will still be on the market especially Return which won the oscar. Even though this is a continuation trilogy, each movie stands on their own without having to own the others.

Eric

Mattias Stridsman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mattias

I think the first movie stands on it's own relatively well (better than I initially thought it would). But the 2:nd and 3:rd? I would not say they stand on their own that well, and they were never intended to to that.

Also, I think these movies will be mainly sold as one package and be viewed as one product in the years to come. In my mind, they are just as inseparable as the Band of Brothers episodes.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I think Eric should definitely buy it because if Jackson does pull the movie the disc will become a rare collector's edition and you'll be able to get a lot for it on Ebay. This hard-to-find title will be the envy of many and I just know thousands will be kicking themselves for not grabbing a copy during its brief time in stores.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I think Eric should definitely buy it because if Jackson does pull the movie the disc will become a rare collector's edition.

New Line financed the movies, I imagine New Line owns them as well. I'd be very surprised if Jackson actually controlled the video rights for the LOTR films.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I should have added some smileys or something to my feeble joke post. Suffice to say it'll be difficult for one of the biggest selling discs of all time to become a hard-to-get item in a hurry. Eric if you don't have all three LOTR extended editions you should get them - the docos alone are more watchable than many of the other discs that I own.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Eric's opinion is definitely one I've not heard often. Fellowship, and especially the extended version of it, is often critically viewed as the best portion of the trilogy.
If you already have the 2nd and 3rd releases it only makes sense to buy this, moratorium or no!

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
This is the most recent thread so;

Help. What I would like is a set of just the movies, theatrical and extended (seamless branching perhaps), with little or no extras. Is there such a beast? I don't think there is but I figured I'd ask.

What brought this on is this Best Buy Deal. Right now I only have FOTR 2-disc theatrical. At $8 a shot I'm considering buying the other 2 and calling it done, at least for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks