What's new

Looks like Di$ney is really pushing for FULLSCREEN now... (1 Viewer)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
www.davisdvd.com
Here's a peek at Buena Vista's catalog line-up set for September 3rd: Aspen Extreme (1.85:1 anamorphic, DD 2.0) Babes In Toyland (fullscreen, DD 2.0), Baby: Secret Of The Lost Legend (2.35:1 anamorphic, DD 2.0), Betsy's Wedding (fullscreen, DD 2.0), Cabin Boy (1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, DD 2.0), Captain Ron (2.35:1 anamorphic, DD 2.0), Celtic Pride (fullscreen, DD 2.0), D2: The Mighty Ducks 2 (fullscreen, DD 2.0), D3: The Mighty Ducks 3 (fullscreen, DD 2.0), Disorganized Crime (fullscreen, DD 2.0), Ernest Goes To Camp (1.85:1 anamorphic, DD 2.0), Ernest Goes To Jail (1.85:1 anamorphic, DD 2.0), Ernest Saves Christmas (fullscreen, DD 2.0), Ernest Scared Stupid (1.85:1 anamorphic, DD 2.0), First Do No Harm (fullscreen, DD 2.0), Gross Anatomy (fullscreen, DD 2.0), Heartbreak Hotel (1.85:1 anamorphic, DD 2.0), Indian Summer (2.35:1 anamorphic, DD 2.0), Mr. Destiny (fullscreen, DD 2.0), My Boyfriend's Back (fullscreen, DD 2.0), Prefontaine (1.66:1 anamorphic, DD 2.0), The Program (fullscreen, DD 2.0), The Puppet Masters (2.35:1 anamorphic, DD 2.0), Spaced Invaders (fullscreen, DD 2.0), Swing Kids (fullscreen, DD 2.0), The War At Home (fullscreen, DD 2.0), Washington Square (1.85:1 anamorphic, DD 2.0), Where The Toys Come From (fullscreen, DD 2.0). All retail $14.99.
Damn...

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
At least my favorite of those "Ernest Goes to Camp" is anamorphic widescreen, but I wish all the Ernest and all of those listed were widescreen. I am somewhat troubled by this yucky trend. Oh well, no sales from me on that MAR garbage.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm fortunate that the only movie$ on the li$t that I am intere$ted in will be in anamorphic wide$creen. But I'm $ure there will be $ome people di$appointed, and thi$ policy concern$ me. I do think it i$ going to get wor$e.

What'$ up with the dollar $ign thing anyway? $ure, Di$ney i$ a profit-driven company, a$ they $hould be. But I don't under$tand thi$ whole derogatory dollar $ign thing.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
All companies are looking to make a profit, that's true, but Di$ney prides themselves as being something great, when they truly just want to make money, usually at the consumer's expense.

I can think of how many times I've thought about a company and been annoyed at a DVD release, or a movie release, but I'm constantly let down by Di$ney, and it's usually because they were worried about losing money.

Here's an example, they didn't want to waste money making new widescreen transfers for those movies, so they just slapped on a full-screen one. And while they did that they most likely said... "They're children movies, nobody'll care."

Mark Hanson

Agent
Still let them know one email per movie you would have purchased. They also need to see what they income the are loosing and it would pay to put BOTH on the disk or find some other way to make both groups happy.

That is the way to get to a profit oriented company. So lets see we could have had $100,000 more on each of 10 DVD's and a total cost of 100,000 to us. Fantasy numbers yes, but that is concept that needs to get across. Not the currently imagined we will spend 900,000 to get an additional 100,000.

Without letting them know each disk they only know they stop my mother from complaining, not that people who buy 50 times more product are not purchasing. So examine the list, see what you would have purchases and let them know. It may take time, but if there is more profit in it for them, it will change.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Its too bad that they have put out so many movies on fullscreen format. Fortunately, there isn't a single movie on that list that I'm even remotely interested in.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Really bummed that Ernest gets three or four movies in widescreen, but two far superior adventures (in my opinion), which really BEG for wider screen due to locations, are given the shaft (JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN and WHITE FANG).

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
A lot of the info on this list is wrong. Betsy's Wedding, Disorganized Crime, Gross Anatomy, Mr. Destiny, Spaced Invaders, Swing Kids, The Program, D2, D3, and My Boyfriend's Back are all 16x9-enhanced widescreen last I heard.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
If this is true, Disney's lost sales on;

Celtic Pride (fullscreen, DD 2.0), Mr. Destiny (fullscreen, DD 2.0), My Boyfriend's Back (fullscreen, DD 2.0), The Program (fullscreen, DD 2.0), The War At Home (fullscreen, DD 2.0),

Damn...
You got that right pardner! What's Disney's e-mail address again?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Captain Ron was shot 1.85, not 2.35. A number of the titles indicated above as "fullscreen" were widescreen on laserdisc, but some of the widescreen releases weren't widescreen on LD.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
here's hoping for that sought after deleted scene from The Program. Actually, I guess we could call it 'giving into pressure removed during theatrical run' scene.

HenrikTull

Second Unit
Wasn't The War at Home straight to video? I would think this movie *might* be composed for 1.33:1 but don't quote me on that. I remember seeing it on TV in 4:3 and the composition didn't look bad at all.

BooneG

Stunt Coordinator
QUOTE]Wasn't The War at Home straight to video? I would think this movie *might* be composed for 1.33:1 but don't quote me on that. I remember seeing it on TV in 4:3 and the composition didn't look bad at all. [/quote]
The war at home was shot 2.35:1.I can't believe that Di$ney would do this. Here's something that I don't get: Di$ney has said that they will release "family" movies in fullscreen. This means that Snow Dogs and the Mighty Ducks movies will be in fullscreen, right? Then why are their big hit family movies like Tarzan, Atlantis, Tarzan and Jane, and Cinderella 2 in widescreen. This makes no sense. It seems that the mouse has no idea what it is doing.
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: to Di$ney. No sale you stupid mouse.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Last week I called Disney and their rep assured me that both Betsy's Wedding and Swing KIds would be widescreen.

She didn't have info on Can't Buy Me Love which is the one I'm worried about (it is rumored to be "fullscreen").

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The War At Home (an excellent film by the way) didn't go straight to video and had a theatrical run here in Los Angeles. The reviews were very good and I believe Kathy Bates got a couple of votes at that year's Los Angeles film critics voting.
Disney didn't spend much time promoting the film as the only reason they made it was because Emilio Estevez refused to do another Mighty Ducks unless they bankrolled this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks