What's new

Looking to replace older CRT, but low on funds (1 Viewer)

Mark Bates

Agent
I have an older Panasonic PT-101Y projector and even with all it's faults I think it was fine for my needs. It is a CRT with 600 lines and max output of 650 lumens. It is not capable of using a line doubler or HDTV. I usually watch it with most lights out except 1 lamp on low in the room. I have also had no problems watching it during the day with the shades closed. Alas all is not perfect. It has started to show it's age and started to dim. I have to push the contrast and brightness all the way up now. I fear this old boy is on it's way out. It is now almost 6 years old of movies, football and other occasional shows.

For awhile I was considering replacing the tubes, but at almost $2000 for the parts I think that I will pass.

So now I am here asking for guidence in finding a new projector. I have no way in the near future of getting HDTV (Live to far from the transmitters and I cannot get a Dish). So HDTV isn't an issue. I have no progressive scan equipment. Honestly I was just ducky with the old CRT. My current screen is 84" 4:3 diagonal and I don't want anything larger for this room.

A decent picture and being able to watch the game during the day with all the shades pulled is all I ask.

I was considering the Piano, but the light output seems a little low for me.

My Home theater dealer recommended the Sony 10HT a year or so ago, but that might still be a little too much at this time, even at $3800 for the B-Stock I saw posted.

Thanks,

Mark

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

VicRuiz

Second Unit
You can get a nice Electrohome ECP Series that'll do all you want and more (it's also capable of HDTV and progressive DVD should you want it in the future) for $1000-$1500. Go to the CRT Projectors forum at www.avsforum.com and ask. You'll get a great deal.

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Contact Curt Palme over at the AVS forum, he can sell you a decent projector for around $600.

AaronP

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, definitely talk to Curt Palme at AVSforum. Also I hear Quaturbo on Ebay is a good projector dealer. Though I've never dealt with either of them, these two guys have the best rep on the net for PJ selling. Especially Palme.

GaryM

Agent
I would go for a Piano or a new SVGA data-grade digital projector. Nothing like having new stuff under warranty.

If it was me, I'd get a 4:3 data-grade projector with zoom and use the current screen. Digital projectors tend to have longer throws than CRT's, and are much easier to ceiling mount. In fact I bought just the swivel end of a commercial mount, built an MDF hushbox with a couple of muffin fans, suspended the projector inside on the mount, and set the whole affair on top of an existing 7' tall bookcase, where it projects across 13' of distance to a 90" diagonal 4:3 screen on the opposite wall (83"-99" screens are possible with the projector's zoom lens).

As a former triple-CRT projector owner, I appreciate having no convergence tweeking and 1000 lumens brightness. My old projector also got junked when the tubes wore out. Like you, I was perfectly happy with interlaced inputs (I had both a C-band satellite receiver and a VHS VCR connected via composite video) and stereo sound.

My new projector has 550 hours on a bulb with a 2000 hour life, which is much more affordable than new CRTs at $316. My projector is an XGA-resolution NEC VT-540, which is now available new for less than $3000. I use the progressive VGA input for both DVD and TV viewing and gaming via a PC. I ran interlaced input cables (S-Video and Composite Video) but the progressive VGA is SO MUCH BETTER, I never use them. My only source is a PC with DVD-ROM and a TV tuner card, that cost me less than $1000 to build. I use a surround receiver for audio.

Gary

Scott Holt

Agent
Hey,I like the projector people to but they recommended the sanyo plv 60ht. It rocks. I stumbled onto this place by accident and am I glad I did. Call 1-888-248-0675 ext.2277 and ask for Todd Reed. Super guy and will give you a deal you can't refuse. I didn't. Tell him Scott told you to call. Good luck.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
It's easy.., if you want an easy setup and a good picture get a digital PJ. If you want the best possible image that requires a little TLC.., stick with a CRT.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks