What's new

Looking to buy a new receiver (1 Viewer)

Clayton_M

Grip
Hi, new here to the forum, looks like there is lots to read up on.

Anyways. I am looking to purchase a new receiver to replace my old JVC RX-550v.

Have a buget around $600, would like to go a little less.

Have been looking at the Marantz SR-6200,7200, or maybe a Yamaha RX-V800, or Denon AVR-982. Any opinions on these? Am I looking in the right direction? Will be used mostly for DVD's and some music.

Will be pushing 2 Boston Acoustic A100 Series 3's and 2 Infinity unknowns. Looking for a center channel speaker too.

Steve Vinson

Auditioning
I had an older Yamaha (595 - I think). I felt it was a little bright. I got rid of it when I found a great deal on a Harmon Kardon 7000. The Logic 7 on HK receivers is not as flexible as it is on Lexicon pre/pros, but it is a nice way to listen to 2-channel CD. I would definitely want either it or Pro Logic II. The straight stereo is also very good on my HK. I think their 210 or 310 would be in this price range, if you wanted to add it to your list.

I like Marantz or Denon, although I believe the Denon model you cited is one they sell to stores like Sears vs. high-end audio stores. I'm not sure what the differences are, but the models they sell to audio stores are 1802, 2802, etc.

Hope this helps some.

Steve Vinson

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Welcome to the Forum Clayton!

I have a Yamaha 620 and I love it. I really like the sound Yammies put out. Whatever receiver you do choose to go with, make sure it has preouts for at least the left/right channels, hopefully for all 5 channels. This is something that I wish I would have looked into/payed attention to before buying the 620. IMO, it's only downfall.

Blake R

Stunt Coordinator
Three months ago I purchased a Harman/Kardon AVR 520 from a web based merchant for just under $700 with shipping. This is my second HK. I have placed my old HK in my "A/V distribution closet" and use it to distribute the multi-zone output from the new HK. I have posted a brief review over at audioreview.com but let me say that these past three months have been a sonic delight. I find myself listening to music styles I don't normally listen to simply because of the clarity and detail in the sound. The most surprising feature of the new receiver to me is the Dolby Pro Logic II MUSIC mode. I have read the discussions of Harmans Logic 7 and to be sure it is quite listenable, but to my ear the DP II MUSIC mode is the best sound field that my system and room parameters have ever produced for music. The 520 is equally adept with digital motion picture soundtracks.

I have listened to many other quality products in this price range but this is the best sub $1000 AV receiver I have ever heard. Others may differ.

RBR

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
hi clayton, welcome to the forum. i am relatively new here as well and i think you will find the people here to have great advice. anyway, i also am looking at upgrading my receiver. i have a yamaha 620, it sounds great for movies but i think lacks for music. it is very bright and lacks depth. i also have boston speakers. i love bostons. i went to tweater to demo the denon and yamaha line with my speakers. this is very important that you demo your stuff with the same speakers. what sounds good on klipch may not sound good on bbostons. i recommend anything from denon or yamaha. i tried the denon 2802, 3802 and yamah 1200 and 2200. the 2802 lacked a lot of hight end. it was "warm" but almost too warm. the cymbal crashes could hardly be heard. i like to HEAR my music. the 3802 sounded much better. more highs and more power plus an extra channel. the 1200 and 2200 sounded incredible. the new yamaha line is not nearly as bright as the older lines. and boy did they have depth. any of these receivers are great, and will last forever. but you will have to hear them yourself, sound is purely subjective. i would also recommend doind a blind test and having a friend switch them around without you looking. all of these receivers have dpl2, pre-outs, all the new dts formats, at least 6 channels and 80 watts and over. a few of these will be over your 500$ budget but don't count them out. you may bump into a display unit or a returned unit that someone just wanted to upgrade. or you can find them online. just be careful that if you go online to make sure that they are an authorized dealer. denon will not service anything sold from an unauthorized dealer. i hope some of this helped. if you have any questions let us know and good luck!!

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Hello Clayton and welcome to the forum. I also am brand new to the forum. I'm a big fan of "Yammies" myself and recently purchased the RX-V3200. A little out of your price range obviously but any of the cheaper Yamaha's would be great for DVDs as far as I'm concerned. If you were listening to mostly music I would suggest one of the Marantz models you mentioned.

Happy shopping!

Clayton_M

Grip
Well, I think I see the light. I guess the smartest thing to do would be to wait and save up a few more pennies and go for a better model in the $800-1000 range. But we all know us "guys" we gota have it now, lol. Evey time I turn my old JVC on it just sounds more and more empty, so I want to replace it fast. I wish I could go to the a store and listen to a few, but I live too far away from any store to put that to practice. Arrg, what to do?!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks