What's new

Looking for Ultraman experts (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys,

I remember fondly watching the 1966-67 Ultraman series in my youth. It was fun, but I'm sure if I see it again now, it might not live up to childhood memories.

I did a search and from what I can see, there's been a release from BCI in 2008 or 2009 who then went under and Mill Creek took over shortly after. I see there is a set from Mill Creek available now and it's a complete series set in one box released in 2009. I see another release that's comprised of two sets of volume one and two released later. The set description of the one box set is that it's a complete release, with both English dubbing and original Japanese soundtrack and English subtitles. The episodes are complete to the degree that the episodes with English dubbing have Japanese dialogue for scenes that were never meant for the US syndicated prints.

This complete box set looks like the one to get. So I'm looking for feedback if this set is okay. I thought I found posts that question the quality of the transfers! I have a feeling these sets are as good as they get and it seems the best option. Thanks for any input!

Also, I see a Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot release as well. Another childhood memory. That looks tempting too!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The Mill Creek box is acceptable however its from 2nd Gen elements and the English dub randomly switches to Japanese at times due to censorship cuts. The reason for this is because of the legal mess.

The first six series (Ultra Q through Ultraman Taro) have this bizarre (and still ongoing) rights feud between original production company Tsuburaya and a Thai sublicensor known as Chaiyo Productions. Chaiyo claims they have complete international rights to the Ultra franchise prior to Ultraman Leo and even have a document reportedly signed by Nobuo Tsuburaya that says as such. Tsuburaya has claimed said document is a forgery. Ultimately though, the courts decided in Chaiyo's favor and every video release of Ultraman, Ultraseven, etc. has used their video masters...which are apparently pseudo-bootleg copies of the Japanese dvds.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the feedback! I can deal with the English dub not being complete. Hope the video quality will look okay to me though. :).

Interesting to hear about the history of the rights for the franchise. You'd think they could work that out.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I recommend watching the series in Japanese with English sub-titles. The stories make more sense and achieve a slightly more mature level.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I have all of these shows which I bought years ago when they came out. Ultraman, Ultra 7, Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot, Ultra Q. I think the quality is excellent. Yes with Ultraman you can watch it in Japanese or English. In the spots that were cut from American tv they Japanese but I think that is so much better then cutting it out.

I know some people who can't enjoy retro TV. They say they can't go home again. I guess mentally I never left that place. I have no problem enjoying these shows.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Lord Dalek said:
The Mill Creek box is acceptable however its from 2nd Gen elements and the English dub randomly switches to Japanese at times due to censorship cuts.

Those aren't cuts for censorship, those are cuts as they only had access to edited English dubbed prints that were cut for more commercial time!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
dhammer, I had not heard of Ultra 7 before and I looked it up. I see it's a follow up series to Ultraman from 1967. The title character doesn't seem to look as well designed or refined as Ultraman. Not that I'm putting it down. I've never seen that show before! This is interesting and I guess that series wasn't syndicated in the US? Or maybe not in my area.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Nelson Au said:
dhammer, I had not heard of Ultra 7 before and I looked it up. I see it's a follow up series to Ultraman from 1967. The title character doesn't seem to look as well designed or refined as Ultraman. Not that I'm putting it down. I've never seen that show before! This is interesting and I guess that series wasn't syndicated in the US? Or maybe not in my area.
Yes, I have seen it on TNT. I did not see it in the Philadelphia area. I think it is a great show. I wouldn't say it was better or worse then the original series before it. Maybe a little more sophisticated and darker--maybe. It took me a little getting used to watching it with sub-titles because the dialog can move a little fast. At first, I was bummed out it wasn't in English. But I own the TNT or TBS or whatever network version in English and a lot is cut out, and it is noticeable. The English dubbed copies from tv are a very choppy and leave you wondering how they got from one seen to the next.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Fun fact: the US dub of Ultra 7 is legendary for being the last known resting place of an infamous episode (#12: "From Another Planet with Love") that's actually been banned from ever airing again in Japan!

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Thanks for the heads up. I'll look out for it. As a side note, Netflix has an anime Ultraman that picks up where the original left off. It s pretty well done but not what I expected. I will leave it at that.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sure Gary. I know nothing about the release. It does look like a nice cover design. But I have no idea if it’s a remaster done by the proper people, etc. I see it’s from Mill Creek.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Defiantly not an expert, but i will say that this has me intrigued, but this being Mill Creek i may have a couple of issues, cramming way to many episodes on a disc and low bit rate being one possibly one, but lately they have stepped up their game and i hope this is another step in the right direction. special features, well if it really is as described that will be good enough.

the only other issue i have with it at this point, is their " Digital" which will be included in both of these releases, not being part of the group, in other words, no VUDU, or any of the other consolidated streaming services, you have to sign up for their own personal service,

ULTRA Q: The Complete Series
Synopsis: After co-creating the iconic movie monsters Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra for Toho Studios, special effects director Eiji Tsuburaya launched his own company, Tsuburaya Productions. The first production under his new label was ULTRA Q, a 28-episode series that brought the theatrical spectacle Tsuburaya had become known for to television. The black & white sci-fi drama focused on Mainichi Shimpo photojournalist Yuriko Edogawa (Hiroko Sakurai, Ultraman), Hoshikawa Airlines pilot/SF writer Jun Manjome (Kenji Sahara) and his co-pilot Ippei Togawa (Yasuhiko Saijo), who partnered to investigate mysterious events occurring in and around Japan. These phenomena often involved aliens and giant monsters, many of whom would return in future Ultraman shows and movies.

One of the most expensive TV programs produced in Japan up to that time, ULTRA Q was a ratings smash that paved the way for Tsuburaya Productions' first color series... ULTRAMAN!

SPECIAL FEATURES AND TECHNICAL SPECS:
NEW RESTORATION of the complete, original Japanese broadcast edits
Lossless DTS-HD Master Audio
28-page collectible booklet

ULTRAMAN: The Complete Series
Synopsis: ULTRAMAN, a giant alien from the Land of Light in Nebula M78, enters Earth's atmosphere in pursuit of an escaped space monster. In the skies above Japan he accidentally crashes into a Jet VTOL piloted by Hayata, a member of the Science Special Search Party (SSSP), an international research and defense agency that protects the world from monsters and aliens of all shapes and sizes. To save Hayata, Ultraman merges his life force with the dying human and vows to stay and fight for peace on Earth. Now, whenever the Patrol faces a threat too great for them to handle, Hayata transforms into Ultraman to save the day!

ULTRAMAN was Tsuburaya Productions' first color series, a sci-fi action adventure drama that dominated the ratings during its initial 1966-67 broadcast run in Japan. The show was quickly licensed for release in America, airing in syndication for nearly two decades. Colorful, fast-paced, and packed with memorable heroes, creatures and incredible special effects, ULTRAMAN was the foundation for a phenomena that continues to this day.

SPECIAL FEATURES AND TECHNICAL SPECS:
NEW RESTORATION of the complete, original Japanese broadcast edits
Lossless DTS-HD Master Audio
28-page collectible booklet

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I love this news but never getting my two favorite Japanese, giant monster shows “Spectreman’, and “Space Giants” even on DVD is a major disappointment.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I didn’t realize Ultra Q is coming too. I’ve never seen that series. I only know it preceded Ultraman. If the reviews of the Ultraman blu ray are good, I’ll get that.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
after a little more research, i don't know if i am going to jump on this when they are released, here is the reasoning, yep seen a couple of episodes way back in the 80's and i know TNT ran some for a while as well, so i though this might be a lot like a Gerry Anderson kind of thing , couple of seasons of fun, was i ever wrong, starting in 1966 with Ultra Q this thing has racked up 31 seasons, yes you read that right, and from the looks of it Mill Creek are releasing 5 of them right out the gate. i wish them well, and hope that the can continue and see how close the can come to a complete package,

But for me, as good as this sounds, a proper release of all 4 seasons in HD of Zatōichi: The TV series, all 100 episodes would have been a better choice,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks