What's new

Looking for Tubed Stereo Preamp with Great Headphone and Phono sections? (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

Oh yeah, and it has to cost less than $1000.

Any suggestions of what models I should look at?

Thanks!

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
John, you'll probably be looking at used. Cary makes a unit that meets your criteria but I doubt it costs less than $1k.
Sorry I'm not much help.
What Turntable do you have?, what about your vinyl collection?, just curious. :)
You could check out another forum and pose your question. I'm sure you would get more responses. Check out:
www.audioasylum.com/audio/tubes/bbs.html

J

John Morris

Frank: Thanks for the suggestions. I had already posted it on the Tubes Asylum about an hour ago, but haven't received any answers yet.
I have a 20 year old Pioneer Elite PL-707 turntable and about 300 or so albums from the 60s, 70s and some 80s too. At one point I thought about putting the albums on CDs, but quickly abandoned that idea after listening to the CDs that I made... ugh. I am about to take the turntable into my local dealer for its' annual servicing and will probably throw on a new Grado Gold cartridge while I'm at it.
The turntable I bought at a dealers going out of business sale and it was the turntable they were using in their reference listening room, so I'm assuming that it is a good one. Still, I can't find any online evidence that it ever existed. :)

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
John, no matter what, don't ever let that precious vinyl go, unless you want give it me. :D

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Or me :)
P.S. I think someone else posted this on the vinyl forum at AA a while back, and someoen recommended AVA. You might want to take a look around www.avahifi.com to see if they have anything that suits you. Some people on AA use AVA gear, and seem to be quite happy with it.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
John,

I have a AMC CVT-3040AS I could part with (since it has never been out of the box) It is an "integrated tube amp, however.

It has:

30 watts per channel

6 gold plated inputs: phono, tape, DAT, CD, tuner, video, AUX

Gold plated speaker terminals

Fixed bias for output tubes

7 high voltage mosfets perchannel

Tone by-pass

3 massive transformers

2 silent fans

20Hz–20kHz

17" x 4 1/2" x 10"

It lists for $1399 (streets for $989) and contact me if you find it interesting since I want to sell it.

John Casler

J

John Morris

Guys, Thank you all very much for your suggestions. A few of you made recommendations that did not include either a headphone amp or a phono preamp. If a tubed preamp does not have BOTH a Headphone and phono section, I can't use it.
Concerning my turntable, here is a bad picture of it showing the tonearm and cartridge that I used two cartridges ago. Does anyone recognize this model?
Link Removed

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I believe Eli Duttman over at AA uses a FET-Valve AVA preamp, and he has always had very good things to say about it. I think I've seen posts by some other AA members who own AVA equipment, and IIRC some of them own the FET-Valve preamps too. You could go over there and run a search... the general opinion seems to be that these preamps manage to capture the best qualities of SS and tube components.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks