What's new

Looking for Title of Old SciFi movie (1 Viewer)

Scott Voth

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for the title of an old B&W sci-fi movie probably made in the 40s or 50s but saw it in the 60s quite a bit on the late night shows such as Dr Shock. It was a movie where people were trapped in an underground cavern that filled with some sort of foam. I'm pretty sure it was filmed in Carlsbad Caverns. The way out of the cavern was through a door that opened into a basement in a house.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'm looking for the title of an old B&W sci-fi movie probably made in the 40s or 50s but saw it in the 60s quite a bit on the late night shows such as Dr Shock. It was a movie where people were trapped in an underground cavern that filled with some sort of foam. I'm pretty sure it was filmed in Carlsbad Caverns. The way out of the cavern was through a door that opened into a basement in a house.

UT.jpg

That would be THE UNKNOWN TERROR (1957). By coincidence, I just watched it this afternoon. It was released on Blu-ray as part of Imprint's SILVER SCREAMS CINEMA box set, paired on a disc with SHE DEVIL (1957).

Here's a review of the disc (the guy in the video isn't me)--

Scott Voth

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you - I'll have to see if I can get it. About 20 years ago I mentioned it to a coworker and she got it in VHS off of Ebay.

Scott Voth

Stunt Coordinator
Here's another one for you. This was in color and I seem to remember British - Maybe Hammer. It was about creatures that looked like mounds the would suck the bones out of people.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Island of Terror (1966) maybe. Not Hammer, but often mentioned in the same context

"Upon its release, the Hollywood newspaper, Variety, complimented Planet Films Productions, stating that Island of Terror and The Projected Man put them in the same league as the Hammer and Amicus Film Studios, and to his death, Richard Gordon considered Island of Terror the favorite film that he ever produced."

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Here's another one for you. This was in color and I seem to remember British - Maybe Hammer. It was about creatures that looked like mounds the would suck the bones out of people.
Definitely Island of Terror. Not a Hammer film, but it was directed by Terence Fisher and starred Peter Cushing. The Shout Blu-ray looks a lot better than this trailer:

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Okay, one more movie, please. Vague memory of a movie about a government rocket project. There is a spy within the project.

Someone places a mirror against a man's photograph, so that his face appears symmetrical -- we see the right side of his face, plus the reflected right side of his face, making his face look bilaterally symmetrical. Somehow, this is important to the unmasking of the spy.

Sorry, I don't remember any more than that.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Okay, one more movie, please. Vague memory of a movie about a government rocket project. There is a spy within the project.

Someone places a mirror against a man's photograph, so that his face appears symmetrical -- we see the right side of his face, plus the reflected right side of his face, making his face look bilaterally symmetrical. Somehow, this is important to the unmasking of the spy.

Sorry, I don't remember any more than that.

Actually sounds somewhat familiar -- was the opposite side of the spy's face disfigured in some way (burn/scars) that made the whole face hard to see (maybe a predisfigurement photo was the only clue to his identity?)

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Actually sounds somewhat familiar -- was the opposite side of the spy's face disfigured in some way (burn/scars) that made the whole face hard to see (maybe a predisfigurement photo was the only clue to his identity?)

Someone in the film made the point that no face is perfectly symmetrical -- there are always differences between the left and right sides.

The fact that the spy's face was perfectly symmetrical indicated that it was some sort of mask or disguise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks