What's new

Looking for the Best $200 speakers (1 Viewer)

Chris Trot

Stunt Coordinator
My brother is setting up a homw theater system and wanted my help picking out some front speakers. He only wants to spend around two hundred. I've looked into the Home Theater Direct speakers, AR17, and a few others, but would like to know what other people think is good. They will used for about 60% music and the rest for movies. Thanks for any replies.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i have to remind you that you had better buy 3 speaker from the same brand, one for center, and 2 main speakers.

for 200 bucks...dang thats gonna be a challenge.

i am sure you cant get the paradigm cinema cc70 ( the smallest one ) with the center channel for 200 dollar.

if i were you i would try htd level 1. under 100 bucks, and i have heard good things about it. only good things. you have nothing to lose, i guess ( under 100 bucks! wow )

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
On that budget I'd go here:
http://www.speakerpage.com
And order their K05B41 speaker kit. Get it with assembled crossover, precut front baffel and the sock. That will run you $135 plus shipping.
Then go to Home Depot and buy some MDF and some appropriate wood to finish the top and bottom. Find someplace to cut the rest of the panels. Have a blast assembling them and enjoy.
Or I suppose $160 plus shipping for a fully assembled kit.
These speaker are slightly better than Paradigm MiniMonitors.
If you want to be a little more adventures and have access to a router and won't mind learning to solder you could order the K08T21 kit for $180 plus shipping. Do all the assembly yourself and have a set of towers that could compete in the $1000 a pair commercial range.

Norm Strong

Stunt Coordinator
A pair of Technics LX30 for left and right front: $90

A pair of Technics LX10 for left and right surround: $70

Phantom center channel. Total: $160.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
For $200.00/pair, I highly recommend both the JBL S26 and the Polk Audio RT25i. Both are excellent music speakers, but able to play plenty loud for HT duties in small to medium-sized rooms. Both the JBL and the Polks are being cleared out for newer series, so pick them up while they're cheap.

PhilWang

Auditioning
Chris,

You might look for some NHT SuperOnes or PSB Alphas. Both of these are discontinued models which can be had for around $200. I believe yawaonline.com has them.

good luck,

Phil

Chris Trot

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help, I'll look into all of these, any other suggestions would also be helpful.

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
Paradigm Atoms are great little speakers. List for $185. I use them as surrounds for my Studio 20 mains and like them enough to get a second pair of Atoms use as the only speakers in a small bedroom system. Let your ears be your guide though and audition as many speakers as you can.

Nick

Evan H

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second Nick's reccomendation of the Paradigm Atoms. I demoed them a week ago and was floored by their performance. They're definitely worth checking out.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm also going to give a :emoji_thumbsup: for Paradigm. I paid $200 or less for my last 3 pairs of Paradigm Titans (bedroom, surrounds in main room, etc...). I think the Atoms are great (more accurate than the Titan), but the Titan can take more power and has a bit better bass response, IMO. Both are excellent speakers.

CalvinC

Stunt Coordinator
PSB has the Alphas for slightly more than $200 and the Alpha Minis for slightly less. I have the minis as my front two speakers with an alpha center, subsonic 5 sub and alpha mites for the rear. I love them. The alpha minis sound pretty good without the sub. When I bought these speakers I listened to several different brands of speakers in this price range and even slightly above and I thought the the PSB's sounded better.

Chris Trot

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the help, I think I'll tell him to get the Paradigm speakers, but where should he buy them from?

Evan H

Stunt Coordinator
Paradigm Speakers can only be purchased through their dealers, go to their dealer locator to find one near you.
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks