What's new

looking for small good sounding speakers for my recroom (1 Viewer)

Steve Adams

Second Unit
I am looking at a set of small speakers....

I was looking at the energy take 5's, athena has a set thats similar as well....

any others I should take a look at?

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Hi Steve,
Add PSB's Image B25 (or the slightly smaller B15) monitors to your audition list.

(more information)

They're similar to my Image surrounds. For a recent celebration, I wanted to bring in a pair of speakers to play a retirement dvd for a large room. At first I was going to bring in towers, then I had a eureka moment to bring in my PSB Images which I use as surrounds (they're bookshelf style speakers and can be used as mains). I'm happy to report that they performed admirably.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
yeah I have psb's in my theater...but I want really small speakers in my rec/room.

the dealer here gave up psb for sinclair audio....doh! do psb still make the little alpha speakers that came in a 5 pack? can't remember the model off hand but they were very small.....

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Infinity's teensy SAT-450, $79 apiece. I've heard these at Circuit City & thought they sounded good (btw, all Infinity gear there is closeout merchandise since KEF and Boston Acoustics are being brought in).

I noramlly would link to directly to Infinity's site, but it's been down for more than a day now - maybe they are redoing it since it has been the same for several years (and the Beta and I think Primus lines are also going to be replaced so they need new pages for those anyway).

Steve Adams

Second Unit
I will never buy bose, they are overhyped garbage. the infinity looks like something I would go for. I will have a look at them next time I goto the city.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
Picked up the athena micra 6 system for half price here..300 bucks cdn..not a bad deal..these are supposedly very nice sounding mini speakers.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of small: If anyone wanted to try the DIY route for a low powered/low budget system for a dorm or small bedroom, these little 3" specialty "full range" drivers mounted in a small experimenter's box or possibly in a piece of pvc tubing with an improvised backplate should work. That low power rating should go up a lot when the recevier's bass management system is set to "small" and the correct crossover point used (actually, even 15 watts would be quite loud in those small rooms).

Using good full range drivers, especially very small ones like this, can make you think there is a separate tweeter at work if you aren't listening critically. And a big chunk of $$ is saved since no internal crossover is needed. Don't forget the damping material though!

INFINITY

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Cassidy
Being Canadian eh, I know from personal experience that Athena products are good. If you are going for the "small" speakers, go for the As-b1's. They have a lively sound and are very detailed in the highs. They have also been given many awards go to the web site to see, athenaspeakers.com

The Primus 150s are also very good, but they have a more intimate sound, they are flatter and less exaggerated. In the end it all comes down to your personal tastes in sound.:)
I hope i helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks