What's new

Looking for rope light (1 Viewer)

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
I have found alot of sites with some good prices on rope lights, but I am looking for the rope light that has only one bulb about every foot or so, its basically gonna be tucked underneath my base trim to light the perimiter of the room, its also going to be on a dimmer, i just need that outline so its easier to find you bearings when walking into the dark cave on a sunny day

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
no one knows, ive seen it on a site for ropelight before but cant find the site anymore

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
I heard rumors that rope light manufactures lost their UL rating. Hard to find now. I'm not sure how true.

David

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
If its going to be hooked up to a dimmer. I would get the bulbs closer together. I think it may took funny to see a small dot of light every foot or so. I think it would look better to se a soft glow all the way around the edge. I wouldn't worry about the amount of light since it will be dimmed.

chris_everett

Second Unit
The rope light that you can cut into custom lengths yourself can no longer be UL listed. The stuff that's in standard lengths is still readily available. An alternative would be to use fiber, if you think the rope light will be too bright.

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I am worried it will be too bright, why didnt I just order that stuff when I saw it.....sigh

chris_everett

Second Unit
If it's on a dimmer, I don't think you'll have any problems. You could get a colored rope if you wanted, to further reduce brightness. However, I think most rope light would be too thick to put under a baseboard, so I would recommend that you look at fiberoptics for the job.

I put in some ropelight along the front edge of the riser in my theater, but I though it looked ugly and took it out (now I have two blacklights that are attached to the sides of my front seating that light up blacklight sensative accents on the floor) I moved the ropelight outside the theater around the door, so that it can be turned on and people can come in/out of the theater without having a bunch of light hit the screen. It's non-dimmed. I left one piece of ropelight that's under the lip of the stage. (It's on a dimmer, along with the main light sconces) I also have non-dimmed rope light in my kitchen along the top of my cabinits that light up the various decorative stuff that sits on top of them (the cabinits) It works very well for both of those applications. Rope light is cheap enough that you can buy some and try it out. If it's too bright, their will be somewhere else you can use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks