What's new

Looking for receiver recommendations (1 Viewer)

jimstark

Auditioning
I have been out of the loop on HT gear for about two years...in that time, my receiver has decided that it no longer loves me, and and I have decided it should die.

I've talked the wife into about a thousand bucks.

I am looking for forward compatability to 6 or 7.1, but the most important thing is LOADS of inputs. I have two TiVos, DVD, VCR, DirecTV, a gaming system, a security camera, cable TV and input from my computer. I'd like at least the Tivo, DirecTV, computer and DVD to be digital audio and S-Video...

Power is not a huge requirement, the room isn't that big. Maybe 65W or better per?. Remotes are not an issue since I'll be using a Pronto...I just want a good quality receiver with loads of inputs that will stay on for more than 20 minutes at a time and not make fuzz noises at me while I sleep. :)

The receiver will be driving Polk RT35's, a Polk 225 center, a 15" sub in the back and a 12" sub in the front, subs are powered.

So...what do the experts say? I'm willing to take any and all suggestions, I have no brand loyalty.

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
For features and inputs the Denon 3803 is very tough to beat right now. It's a very subjective matter but overall I think that it get the most praises and the least complaints in receivers under 1000 bucks right now.

jimstark

Auditioning
Just looked at the Denon site...wow, that box has a lot of inputs! Nice. I'll try to find one locally to listen to.

That could be just the thing...

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with James. I have been doing a lot of head to head comparison shopping and the NAD is flat out better sounding to me than anything else out there until you get to separates. When I compared the NAD to other receivers in the $1K category, using the same speakers and source material, I could hear things clearly through the NAD that other receivers, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite or Sony ES included, simply muffled or wasn't there at all.

Good luck

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
I would second the NAD T752/T762. If I had not gotten my Rotel RSX 1055 I would have ended up with NAD. By far the best sounding of the under $1000 AVRs.

I demoed the T752 with all PSB image speakers at the dealer and was very impressed. Very clear very detailed. Not as many bells and whisltes as Denon or HK etc. Some have complained of fan noise or early quality problems but I never heard the fan come on.

jimstark

Auditioning
Fan noise certainly wouldn't be an issue...the room is pretty noisy: neighbors, A/C exchanger right outside one window, two computers...I'd never hear the amp.

Keep the suggestions coming...I might even get the wife up to 12, maybe 13 hundred for a good reason.

One thing that might be an issue is heat...I am building an open shelving entertainment center, but it's gonna be awhile before I can finish it. In the mean time, I took the door off the one I have now, and I try to keep things apart as much as I can, but it's a small space, and I have 5 little furry cats...and we all know that pet hair is magically transferred from the back of a cat directly inside any expensive electronics you may own.

Sometimes I think that they pick the hair off, and stuff it in the grills of my computer fans while I sleep. It's the only logical explanation.

Anyway...Does the NAD get hot? Or rather, hotter than anything else?

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
The Sony DA4ES is fairly well thought off and a great value at ~$600 but they are getting very hard to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks