What's new

Looking for pre-amp and amp recs... (1 Viewer)

Dean_S

Second Unit
I currently have a Sony TAE-9000ES pre-amp and temporarily using my old Kenwood THX KRX-1000??? (this is the old Stereophile recommended recv) as the 5-ch amp running 5 NHT SB3s and an SW2Pi sub. I would like to replace the Sony pre-amp with something that can do component switching. I like the Sony b/c it doesn't noticably degrade the video like soooo many pre-amps do, so I'm looking for something new that shares this quality with the Sony. I hate the Sony remote and would prefer the new pre-amp to have a "normal" one-way hard button remote that can be used to program my Home Theatre Master remote. I'm looking to spend about $1500 on the pre-amp and buying used is always an option.

I would also like to replace the Kenwood that I'm using for the amp (actually move it to another system). The sound quality for music (2-ch) is the highest priority here. I just don't know what amps to try to match the NHT's??? Again the price should be under $1500 and used is OK. I have a small room and don't listen at insane levels, so I'd guess that anything 100 watts/ch should be enough as along as it has decent headroom.

TIA for any suggestions.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
My first reaction would be to recommend Outlaw.

Second would be to look at the new offerings due later this month from Sherwood Newcastle.

Dean_S

Second Unit
Philip,

Thank you for the rec. I am considering Outlaw amps, but have already ruled out the pre-amp since the reviews I've read mentioned degraded video performance. I got a rec for the Rotel 1066 from another site and I'm leaning toward something like that right now, but still want many more recommendations to give me some more ideas as to what I should consider/demo/buy.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
This is what I am looking at:
Outlaw 950 $799 new
Rotel 1066 $1200 < used $1499 new
B&K Ref 30 $1200 used

Dean_S

Second Unit
I've been seeing the Rotel used (and some demos) for $950-1050 lately. One is a demo from a local store, but I've been seeing a few on Videogon and Ebay too. Thanks for reminding me that B&K makes something in my price range :)

Do you know what the difference between the 1066 and the about to be released 1068 is???

Dean_S

Second Unit
Here's a link (and a quote I copied) to one of the two articles I read that mentioned the video performance of the Outlaw Pre-amp. I can't find the second link, but as a SGHT subscriber I tend to respect their reviews more then a internet-based review where the reviewer is unknown.

"The 950 offers sufficient S-video and composite inputs and outputs, but these are bandwidth-limited and non-uniform—I clearly saw differences in color saturation when I tried my STB's S-video output into various Outlaw inputs."

I can't post the link since I'm a new member. It's at guidetohometheater dot com /amplifiers/147/

The other review that I can't find anymore did test with HD and they commented on a noticable softening of the picture thru the pre-amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks