What's new

Advantage of pre amp over rec. (1 Viewer)

Jason/\J/\G

Auditioning
What would you gain by getting a pre amp over just getting a Denon 3805 ($1199), most of the pre amps I have been looking at Rotel,Adcom and Integra, are going to end up being $1500-$2000 so why not get the Denon and just us that as a pre amp. Thanks Jason

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The advantage is it's designed to perform pre/pro functions only rather than trying to do everything, and the pre/pro will likely sound better. That doesn't mean the 3805 is a bad choice though - receivers can make a great pre/pro for a nice amp. If you go listen to the 3805 and you like the way it sounds, then go for it.

John S

Senior HTF Member
A lot of people are doing just that.

They usually will get an even lower lined AVR to do it with though. Like a 2805, heck even a Pioneer 1014 would be great for Pre/Pro duties.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'm using a denon 3805 in a half pre/pro, half receiver duty. that is, i have cary audio tube monoblocks which power the fronts and the denon powers the rears (phantom center). the sound quality is comparable to my previous aragon soundstage so i don't feel like i'm missing anything in regards to overall sound quality. all my friends and guests remain blown away by the "movie" experience, but that is likely due more my projector rather than the actual sound itself. but what i'm saying is, i don't feel the sound has diminished from my previous dedicated pre/pro now that i'm using the denon.

kevin t

Scott_N

Second Unit
Kevin

What Cary amps do you have if you don't mind me asking? I used to have a Cary V12 and really liked it.

Scott_N

Second Unit
Very nice!:emoji_thumbsup: I like those Gershman AvantGarde's though i've never heard them with tubes. It's nice to see a tube system on this board! I have a pair of Thor Audio TPA-30 monos with Tetra Space speakers a Cary SLP-88 preamp and a Cary 308T cdp and a Nottingham Spacedeck turntable with a Origin Live OL1 arm and Dynavector 20XH cartridge and Sonneteer Sedley phono preamp in my 2-channel system. So all tube except my phono preamp myself.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
thanks, i just received a supratek chardonnay preamp on friday so i need to update my pictures. with the execpetion of my 47 labs shigaraki transport and dac, it's an all tube 2-channel system. i haven't heard any tubed cd players, but the beauty and simplicity (musically and aesthetically) of the 47 labs gear just blows me away. the cary's are 130 watts triode so the gershmans still pump out deep bass with authority, but not like they did when they were connected to the aragon palladium monos. i might give the zero autoformers a test drive to see if i can recoup some of the deepest bass, but i'm currently completely satisified with my 2-channel system.

kevin t

Scott_N

Second Unit
I've yet to hear any 47 labs gear but i've heard good reports about them. Well i'm not done with my system yet. I plan to move up to a Thor TA-1000 preamp, Kharma Ceramique 3.1 speakers and a Audio Aero Prima DAC to be used with a Marantz SA-8260 that I have as a transport down the road. I like tubed cdp's because they sound more analog to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.